Juju

McCoy Tyner — piano
Reggie Workman — bass
Elvin Jones — drums

Blue Note BLP 4182 (US)

Recorded on August 3, 1964 at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey

Thanks to snobb, kazuhiro for the updates

WAYNE SHORTER MP3, Free Download/Stream

Buy WAYNE SHORTER - JUJU music

Right Now on Ebay (logo)
Showing all 21 items | Price may be different, data is cached, expiring in 24h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com
Amazon (logo)
Vinyl$19.98
Shorter, wayne Juju Mainstream JazzShorter, wayne Juju Mainstream Jazz
Records
Audio CD$45.96
Wayne Shorter - Juju - Music Matters JazzWayne Shorter - Juju - Music Matters Jazz
Remastered · Limited Collector's Edition · HiFi Sound
Music Matters Jazz
Vinyl$49.95
Showing 4 items | Cache expiring in 72h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

WAYNE SHORTER JUJU reviews

No WAYNE SHORTERJUJU reviews posted by specialists/experts yet.

Sean Trane
An early Shorter solo album, and I believe the second one (of a long series) on the Blue Note label, Juju is also one of my fave, not least because of the outstanding contribution of Tyner and his usual-suspect Trane accomplice Elvin on the drums and Workman on bass. Ok, don’t think I’m jumping on my Trane train yet, because Shorter is the star, and his compositions are one of the best he’s ever done, and his stellar playing shines throughout the album’s six tracks, but inevitably the Trane shadow is lurking all over Juju.

What a pleasure it is to hear the Coltrane crew without Trane in the opening title, even if it’s almost impossible not to think of the master himself, mainly because of the instantly recognizable Tyner piano and a slight raga feel. Deluge is quieter pedestrian tempo that doesn’t match its predecessor in terms of adventure. The even slower House of Jade is somehow a bit of a bore, despite an excellent but slightly predictable end. On the flipside’s Mahjong, Elvin opens alone, but is soon joined by Tyner’s tense piano line and Shorter’s wailing sax to give the whole thing a slightly exotic-raga touch and turns out to be the album’s best moment. The following up-beat Yes Or No present a slight bop feel, but voids falling in the usual trap. The bluesy-bop closer 12 More Bars is not exactly a foot-stomper, but fits correctly the album’s overall tone.

The remaster reissue feature alternate takes (both shorter ;o))) of the title track and the Jade track, but it’s not like they are a major selling point. Compared with many of his subsequent releases such as Speak No Evil or Schizophrenia, this is a far more adventurous album, even if Wayne will work again with Tyner in Soothsayer, but not to the same affect. As for Juju, it’s a little sad that the tracks following the lead-of song on each side of the album don’t really pick up where they left off. Good early album, getting my personal nod, probably because of the Trane-gang connection.

• wideopenears

Gimme one of those
THE BRAND NEW HEAVIES
Gebhard Ullmann - Almost Twenty-Eight
GEBHARD ULLMANN
Carlo Actis Dato Quartet - "Oppression"
CARLO ACTIS DATO