KEITH JARRETT — The Köln Concert

C Part II b 19:19
D Part II c 6:59

Total Time: 66:05

Keith Jarrett: piano

ECM Records – 1064/65 ST (Germany)

Recorded live at the opera in Köln, Germany, January 24, 1975

Thanks to silent way, snobb, js for the updates

Buy KEITH JARRETT - THE KÖLN CONCERT music

Amazon (logo)
No release results found : showing artist results instead
The Koln ConcertThe Koln Concert
$6.99 (used)
Munich 2016 [2 CD]Munich 2016 [2 CD]
ECM 2019
$23.49
J.S. Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I [2 CD]J.S. Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I [2 CD]
Decca 2019
Last DanceLast Dance
ECM 2014
$14.04
$9.48 (used)
Showing 9 items | Cache expiring in 24h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

KEITH JARRETT THE KÖLN CONCERT reviews

dreadpirateroberts
Improvisational magic.

It's difficult for me not to gush over this record. It's in my all time top ten albums and floored me when I first heard it. I'd read a lot about it and bought it 'cold', going off reviews alone and I was not disappointed.

Jarrett is fusing styles here, as he vamps on a few chords and just milks everything out of the technique of variation and repetition. It is a 'sit back and close your eyes' album, you let the ripple of notes transport you.

It's probably unfair to break the album into songs, but for a taste, if you don't enjoy 'Part I' you won't really like the rest of the album. Very indicative of the concert, 'Part I' begins with a trickle of notes and builds up to heavier chords and then drops away for more crescendos, before eventually moving into some strong rhythmic passages that get a blues feel going toward the middle. It drops off in intensity for a period and climbs again to end with Jarrett seeming to jab at the keys to hold a ragged rhythm.

Throughout the concert you will hear Jarret vocalising and for me it adds to the moment rather than detracts. He's there, his mind, his hands, everything about him is right there playing that concert in Koln. Every note seems to be charging through his body.

On the CD the concert is broken into four tracks, 'Part I' is the 26 minute opener and 'Part II' is broken into three tracks, ending with a perfect coda-like expression of the ideas in 'Part I'.

It is an astounding concert in which Keith Jarrett varies his attack on the keys, his rhythm and his ideas. He really commits himself to the pieces he is creating here. Clearly, some of the passages will feel more 'classical' than 'jazz' but he is using the spirit of jazz - improvisation, throughout the entire the concert. So 'The Koln Concert' is probably for fans of the piano and the ideals of improvisation. Five stars for me.

andyman1125
Majestic beauty

I had heard a lot about The Koln Concert. Most of it was incredible praise. After listening, I can see why. Jarret truly puts all of his heart, soul, and incredible talent into this beautiful composition. The entire album is made up of a sublime, hour long composition he made for Koln, Germany, more specifically the show he played there. Jarret truly applies himself on this album, making some of the most incredible piano melodies and harmonies one will ever hear, with some of the nicest and most melodic music gracing the disk. Although it is not jazz in the strictest sense, this album still has that Jarret vibe, and is easily one of the greatest long jazz compositions in history. Bravo. 5 stars.

• Anster