YES — We Can Fly (review)

YES — We Can Fly album cover Single · 2011 · Jazz Related Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
3.5/5 ·
Prog Zone
Review - #15 (Yes - We Can Fly)

It's been nearly ten years since this single was first released, blink and you could miss it. We Can Fly is a song that was originally written during the Drama album in 1980 but was never released. There are also some videos in which you can hear the band preforming this song live during the Drama tour. However, the studio and live versions remain almost identical besides some enhanced studio effects and alternate solos. This song, in combination with the entire Fly From Here Suite, remains to be one of my favorite moments Yes has offered in nearly twenty years. The musicians all do their part to make this song work well. Furthermore, Benoit David has an excellent vocal delivery throughout the entire track in addition to Geoff Downes providing sparse yet pleasant keyboards. Not to mention, there are some great drums provided from Alan White that feel new and energized. Despite this track not being a Close to the Edge by any means, it's a wonderful song that I do find myself visiting frequently. Interestingly, in an interview with Rolling Stone, former Yes singer Jon Anderson stated that on hearing "We Can Fly" he felt it sounded "a bit dated" and that Trevor Horn's production "wasn't as good as I expected". He did, however, praise David's vocal performance. This is a solid track that fits well within the Yes catalogue.

- π˜›π˜©π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘷π˜ͺ𝘦𝘸 𝘸𝘒𝘴 𝘰𝘳π˜ͺ𝘨π˜ͺ𝘯𝘒𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘳π˜ͺ𝘡𝘡𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 π˜—π˜³π˜°π˜¨ 𝘈𝘳𝘀𝘩π˜ͺ𝘷𝘦𝘴 (http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2537497)

Future Memories 21st Century Modern