SUN RA — Angels and Demons at Play

- Julian Priester / trombone
- Victor Sproles / bass
- Phil Cochran / trumpet

Vinyl LP Saturn 9956-2-O/P
Side one recorded in June 1960.
Side two recorded in February 1956.

Thanks to js for the addition and snobb for the updates

Buy SUN RA - ANGELS AND DEMONS AT PLAY music

Amazon (logo)
Angels & Demons at PlayAngels & Demons at Play
Extra tracks
Wax Time 2014
$15.01
$16.03 (used)
Angels And Demons At Play + Sound Sun Pleasure!! & We Travel The Space WaysAngels And Demons At Play + Sound Sun Pleasure!! & We Travel The Space Ways
Remastered
SOLAR RECORDS 2014
$7.49
$7.48 (used)
Angels and Demons at Play/the Nubians of Plutonia by Sun Ra (1994-01-05)Angels and Demons at Play/the Nubians of Plutonia by Sun Ra (1994-01-05)
Evidence
$145.54
$111.38 (used)
Angels And Demons At PlayAngels And Demons At Play
ABC/ Impulse
$105.25 (used)
Showing 4 items | Cache expiring in 63h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Right Now on Ebay (logo)
Showing all 19 items | *Auction price may increase, data is cached, expiring in 22h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com

SUN RA ANGELS AND DEMONS AT PLAY reviews

js
Calling this a unique Sun Ra record may seem pointless since all of his records tend to be one-of-a-kind, but as an owner of many Sun Ra albums, I find this one really stands out. Subtlety is the key with this one, there are no sonic atonal big band assaults or cacophonous free ensemble playing from a multitude of screaming horn players. Instead, we are treated to quiet exotica flavored avant-garde lounge jazz on side one, and Sun Ra’s quirky take on classic big band swing on side two.

It’s the four exotica tunes on side one that have always gotten my attention. Apparently Sun Ra was a big fan of Les Baxter’s kitschy futuristic fusion and it really shows on these four which actually don’t even come close to mimicking Les, but a possible cross-influence does seem apparent. Its really hard to describe these songs, possibly the lounge music for a Tiki bar in ancient Africa that received regular visits from time travelers might do the trick. All of these tunes are quiet and mysterious and are played by small chamber ensembles which have a different instrumental make-up for each song. The mysteries of Africa in the past and future are the presiding themes for each tune.

Side two features four big band swing tunes that are played more or less straight up by Sun Ra standards, but the arrangements are full of bizarre and humorous twists as Sun Ra subverts standard swing music and takes it back in time to the days before jazz could be recorded, and even further back to Africa and beyond. When I listen to these tunes I can’t help but think that this is what jazz is really supposed to sound like, but only Sun Ra and his band know how to do it right.

This is an excellent album, I think any Sun Ra fan will find much to enjoy, and I also think that people who don’t normally enjoy Ra’s music may take to this one because of its more relaxed and subtle approach

No SUN RA ANGELS AND DEMONS AT PLAY reviews posted by members yet.

• yair0103

Love Vocal Jazz
MICHAEL BUBLÉ
Multifariam Eclectic Fusion
CHRISTOPHER HOFFMAN

David Ricard Big Band COME OUT SWINGIN'
DAVID RICARD