Senna

MAHOGANY FROG - Senna cover
4.33 | 2 ratings | 2 reviews

Album · 2012

Filed under Jazz Related Rock

1. Houndstooth Part 1 (4:04)
2. Houndstooth Part 2 (5:29)
3. Expo '67 (5:04)
4. Flossing With Buddha (4:35)
5. Message From Uncle Stan: Grey Shirt (8:29)
6. Message from Uncle Stan: Green House (3:49)
7. Saffron Myst (4:02)
8. Aqua Love Ice Cream Delivery Service (7:46)

Graham Epp: electric guitars, MicroMoog, Farfisa Organ, Farf Muff, ARP String Ensemble, Korg MS2000, electric and acoustic pianos;
Jesse Warkentin: electric guitars, MicroMoog, Farfisa Organ, Farf Muff, ARP String Ensemble, Korg MS2000, electric and acoustic pianos;
Scott Ellenberger: electric and acoustic bass, Briscoe organ, percussion;
Andy Rudolph: drums, percussion and electronics

MoonJune Records MJR048 (US)

Recorded & mixed by John Paul Peters May to September 2011 at Private Ear Recording, Winnipeg, MB

Thanks to snobb for the addition

MAHOGANY FROG MP3, Free Download/Stream

No MAHOGANY FROG MP3s available for streaming.

Buy MAHOGANY FROG - SENNA music

Right Now on Ebay (logo)
Showing all 8 items | Price may be different, data is cached, expiring in 24h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com
Amazon (logo)
Senna by Mahogany FrogSenna by Mahogany Frog
Moonjune Records 2012
Audio CD$8.99
$1.31 (used)

MAHOGANY FROG SENNA reviews

js
Although sometimes mistakenly categorized as a ‘jazz-rock’ band, Mahogany Frog is actually a very original and creative instrumental rock band that may use some jazz and fusion in their broad choice of influences, but they forge a sound that is all their own. “Senna”, their new album for 2012, shows a band on the verge of greatness with a solid set of songs that contain a few real gems. Frog lists some of their influences as 50s exotica, 60s psychedelia, 70s prog-rock and today’s electronica. All of that comes together on this CD to make some highly ambitious energetic modern art-rock.

“Senna” opens with Frog channeling about four different classic early Pink Floyd song intros before a wicked drumnbass beat kicks in and the band veers into Squarepusher styled frantic cartoon rock. After this the band charges into a section with a building odd-metered chorus that sounds like an electronic version of Don Ellis’ 60s big band experiments. This opening cut sets the mood for the rest of the album with plenty of rapid fire changes and exhilarating chorus buildups that sound like a cross between The Cardiacs, George Martin’s exotic pop extravagances, early Soft Machine, spaghetti western themes and Mr Bungle, with some early Devo thrown in too. Another top cut is “Flossing with Buddha”, which channels the spiraling optimistic chords of the early jazzy version of Yes, and mixes that with more electronic faux big band buildups.

This is a great CD and recommended for people who are looking for some original modern instrumental rock. "Senna" could also have cross appeal to fans of 60s/70s exotic big band arrangers such as Tartaglia, Don Ellis, Gil Evans and George Martin. Mahogany Frog has a great knack for melodies and arrangements that continue to climb and change without a trace of cliché.

kev rowland
More and more I seem to be coming across albums that appear to have more sonic connection with my teenage years than the current day, but as that isn’t an issue all I can say is “bring it on!” This is Senna’s sixth album, but somehow is a band that I have managed to miss altogether but I see that I am going to have to rectify the omissions. The four-piece comprise Graham Epp (electric guitars, MicroMoog, Farfisa Organ, Farf Muff, ARP String Ensemble, Korg MS2000, electric & acoustic pianos), Jesse Warkentin (electric guitars, MicroMoog, Farfisa Organ, Farf Muff, ARP String Ensemble, Korg MS2000, electric & acoustic pianos), Scott Ellenberger (electric & acoustic bass, Briscoe organ, percussion) and Andy Rudolph (drums, percussion & electronics) yet are a far more in your face rock band than you may imagine from the impressive list of keyboards.

This is progressive rock mixed with krautrock mixed with post rock mixed with jazz, all thrown into a melting pot and allowed to brew and take on a life all of it’s own. Imagine Can playing with Tortoise with Soft Machine on the sidelines while someone decides to thrown in some filthy guitar riffs to tie it all together. This is early Seventies sweat and long hair combined certain drugs and the music being played at incredibly high volumes. They combine to provide tight melodies and controlled chaos while at others there seems to be no control at all and they ride the thick basslines a la Chris Squire until it all starts to make sense again. This is not music to be gently listened to on headphones, but to be played at parties where alcohol is in abundance and everyone is having the time of their lives. I mean, there are times it sounds as if Dik Mik is playing with his audio generator.

Filthy, rough and raw, this is great. www.moonjune.com

No MAHOGANY FROG ratings only posted yet.

The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady Post Bop