GRANT GREEN — Street of Dreams

Grant Green - guitar
Bobby Hutcherson - vibes
Larry Young - organ
Elvin Jones - drums

Blue Note – BLP 4253 (US)

Recorded on November 16, 1964, Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey

Thanks to Abraxas, snobb for the updates

Buy GRANT GREEN - STREET OF DREAMS music

More places to buy metal & GRANT GREEN music

GRANT GREEN STREET OF DREAMS reviews

Abraxas
Blue Note-addict, Grant Green, released dozens of albums throughout the 60s showing clearly his evolution and diversity in different contexts, having played with lots of renowned musicians. In Street of Dreams we got the trio that played in Talkin’ About which is Larry Young on organ, Elvin Jones on drums and Green on guitar, plus the addition of vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson on this session.

The unision of B3 Hammond Organ and jazz guitar is not something new at all, but Grant Green probably made my favourite album featuring this unision, which is this. But that's only telling half of the story, since actually I love this album also because of the combination of vibraphone and organ, the former playing the upper keys while the organ does the lower register, as a whole creating a fantastic sound which isn’t common in jazz (or elsewhere).

Street of Dreams is in its essence a dreamy and night-mood album, as the title suggests. And that's actually surprising since Larry is not actually known for being a calm organist, neither is Jones' drum-kit accustomed to playing gently nor much of Bobby's vibes.

What is also surprising is that all four compositions are covers, mainly popular early 50s songs (sang). But Green & Co. really make these compositions their own, as great jazz musicians are known of doing. It's in the case of 'Lazy Afternoon' that the band even turns the original 4/4 into a 5/4 tune! But mind you, it's a slow-paced 5/4 unlike 'Take Five'. Yes, the four compositions are mainly slow-driven tunes with no real need of power; it's the whole subtlety and dreaminess that makes this album so enjoyable, and of course the exquisite solos of each of the members.

Although many will object of considering this a great Green record, since the guitarist's classic features are not present, I still think this is an excellent album, and like I said at the beginning, one of the best in combining guitar and organ, even though those particular instruments don’t actually show-off, they’re simply joined as one within the whole flow of the album.

No GRANT GREEN STREET OF DREAMS reviews posted by members yet.

• Steve Wyzard
  • KK58
  • yair0103
  • Drummer
  • Hawkwise

Cathedral Jazz Related Improv/Composition
JEREMIAH CYMERMAN
Ernesto Rodrigues, Fred Lonberg-Holm, Rodrigo Pinheiro : Multiforms Jazz Related Improv/Composition
ERNESTO RODRIGUES
Idris Ackamoor & The Pyramids : Shaman! African Fusion
IDRIS ACKAMOOR
Color Of Noize Nu Jazz
DERRICK HODGE
Kenton Trilogy Part Three Big Band
STAN KENTON

Derrick Hodge - Not Right Now (Visualizer)
DERRICK HODGE
Yalla
TARIK HASSAN
Morse
DEEP FORD (ROBIN FINCKER | BENOIT DELBECQ | SYLVAIN DARRIFOURCQ)