PHRONESIS — We Are All

Jasper Hoiby: dounble bass;
Ivo Neame: piano;
Anton Eger: drums

Edition EDN1118X (UK)

Recorded on 4th & 5th April 2018 by August Wanngren at The Village Recording Studios, Copenhagen

Thanks to snobb for the addition and js for the updates

Buy PHRONESIS - WE ARE ALL music

Amazon (logo)
We Are AllWe Are All
EDITION RECORDS LTD. 2018
$11.84
$10.91 (used)
Showing 1 items | Cache expiring in 43h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Right Now on Ebay (logo)
Showing all 23 items | *Auction price may increase, data is cached, expiring in 5h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com

PHRONESIS WE ARE ALL reviews

snobb
After eleven years of activities and seven successful albums London-based Phronesis were probably most respectable contemporary jazz trio in UK. Few years ago, when their music started sounding a bit too safe and predictable they did a double shot trying to improve the situation. First they recorded (at Abbey Road Studios in London) much more muscular album ("Parallax")then they ever did before. I saw them playing life with these new songs and they sounded as high-energy power trio, but from the bad side their new music lost part of their melodies putting them in danger to become "another fusion piano trio". An year after they released an excellent album of their known songs recorded with Frankfurt radio big band. What's next?

Just released their ninth album "We Are All" doesn't open radically different horizons, but it looks here they finally found their best ever balance between slightly melancholic chamber jazz and more modern and youthful power trio sound. Trio's songs are tightly composed and precisely executed again with bigger attention to melodies. They reduced high energy of "Parallax" till controlled groovy sound with complex interplay between virtuoso piano soloing and physical acoustic bass.

"We Are All" represents contemporary European jazz at its best - multilayered intellectual improvisational music sounds almost as accessible as pop and rock songs without loosing its quality. One critic called "Phronesis" "the best modern jazz piano trio since EST", with "We Are All" release they have serious evidence that he was right.

No PHRONESIS WE ARE ALL reviews posted by members yet.

• lunarston