SOFT MACHINE — Volume Two (review)

SOFT MACHINE — Volume Two album cover Album · 1969 · Jazz Related Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
bytor2112
In 1969 Hugh Hopper joins the Softs as the new bassist, Leaving former bassist; Kevin Ayers to follow his own solo career. The band hires a saxophonist (a Soft Machine first)which gives the album an overall "jazzier" feel. More so than it's very psych-pop oriented predecessor. Though it is not as jazzy as their later fusion works, it manages to pull off a nice balance between pop, psych and jazz.

Of course Robert Wyatt's vocals are still very prominent on this record, they give the album a very 'stoned' feeling. But at times the vocals are quite humorous, namely in the "Concise British Alphabet" tracks.

The rest of the band are also great on this record. Mike Ratledge; the star of their later works is experimenting away on his organs. His unmistakable tones are heard throughout the recording. Lastly, Hugh Hopper; he is a definite step up on the bass part. He is another reason this record comes off as more jazzy than their first effort.

This album is a great transition between their first and third albums, an overall great progression. For a rating I give 4 stars. The band is progressing more towards jazz and though it may not be a 'perfect' album it is still an excellent addition to any jazz music collection.

Charles Mingus @ Bremen 1964 & 1975 Post Bop