HIROMI — Voice (review)

HIROMI — Voice album cover Album · 2011 · Fusion Buy this album from MMA partners
darkshade
This album is great. I like all of Hiromi's albums, but this one, along with her classic album "Time Control", is among the best fusion albums you'll come across this side of the 21st century. Besides the fact that she is a virtuoso pianist, she also knows how to write a tune, catchy melodies, and top that off with some of the best jazz piano playing ever. She does dabble with keyboard sounds on all her albums, this album is no exception. Thing is, don't expect too much, as this is mostly a piano-dominated record, with bass and drums backing her up. But as I said, her piano playing is great, and there are some tracks that are just so beautiful, it may make you cry ;) Cuts like "Temptation" really bring out her soul and contain some gorgeous playing from her.

But this is a fusion album, and the record starts off with the title song, in progressive rock fashion, piano riffs galore. The next track is a reprise of a tune from her other masterpiece album "Time Control", something she's been doing for most of her catalog. So she has the 'rock' mentality for sure, she just doesn't need guitars or keyboard effects to achieve what she needs to. I will admit, I do somewhat miss her quartet that is on Time Control and Beyond Standard, but since this is labeled as a "Trio Project" hopefully they'll return on a future album. Get this album, one of the best modern jazz/fusion albums, and nice to hear such a good album coming out in a year like 2011.

The Garden of Eve Vocal Jazz
MALIA
Love of Life Post-Fusion Contemporary
VINCENT COURTOIS
The Waves Are Rising, Dear! Jazz Related Improv/Composition
ANDREAS SCHAERER
Color Out of Space [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] Jazz Related Soundtracks
COLIN STETSON
Concert Impressions Big Band
STAN KENTON LEGACY ORCHESTRA

LOVE OF LIFE
VINCENT COURTOIS
The Waves Are Rising, Dear!
ANDREAS SCHAERER