TOMASZ STAŃKO — Twet (review)

TOMASZ STAŃKO — Twet album cover Live album · 1974 · Avant-Garde Jazz Buy this album from MMA partners
3.5/5 ·
snobb
Tomasz Stanko for last some decades is one of leading European jazz musician. There are a lot of fans around knowing him by his later ECM albums,where his music varies from intelligent avant-garde jazz to melodic contemporary jazz and even soulful world fusion.

But real Stanko's roots are here - on his pre-ECM recordings from early 70s."TWET" is third Stanko's studio album (album's title is made from the initials of musicians first names) and last one before the beginning of his collaboration with ECM label.Stanko collaborators on this release are great Polish reeds player Tomasz Szukalski, American bassist Peter Warren and excellent Finnish drummer Edward Vesala.

Album was recorded in Poland in spring 1974 and contains dark,nervous and trippy. Just five compositions,but them all bring to listener atmosphere of Socialist Poland's grey reality outside of the Concert Hall in Warsaw mixed with Miles Davis electric period sax soloing and chaotic world of Art Ensemble of Chicago music.

One between Stanko's best early avant-garde albums, this release shows artist's most innovative and experimental side in full.Far not such an easy listening as his modern ECM works this album is really rewarding for dedicated listener.

Mahandini Jazz Related Rock
DEWA BUDJANA
Huellas Fusion
BARROCERO
Escape Route Fusion
OTHER BARRY
Near East Quartet Jazz Related Improv/Composition
NEAR EAST QUARTET (THE NEQ)
Rural Cosmos World Fusion
HASSAN ALI

Mahandini
DEWA BUDJANA
Escape Route
OTHER BARRY
Baram
NEAR EAST QUARTET (THE NEQ)
Hassan Ali - Angry Space Mob