JOHN SCOFIELD — That's What I Say: John Scofield Plays The Music Of Ray Charles (review)

JOHN SCOFIELD — That's What I Say: John Scofield Plays The Music Of Ray Charles album cover Album · 2005 · Soul Jazz Buy this album from MMA partners
Rokukai
One of the best Ray Charles tribute albums that flooded the market following his death, "That's What I Say: John Scofield Plays the Music of Ray Charles" fits nicely into John Scofield's eclectic discography. Jazz fans will find plenty to like, and Charles fans will be delighted as Scofield and his all-star crew breathe new life into 13 Ray favorites (not all Ray originals). The set starts with a bang, as "Busted" flies through the speakers and reminds every listener what a great song it is.

Along the way, you get to hear standards like "Hit the Road Jack" "Georgia on My Mind" "You Don't Know Me" and "What'd I Say". Then there's the songs you won't hear on many Charles compilations--"Unchain My Heart" "Cryin' Time" and "Talkin' 'bout You".

True heavyweights deliver the vocals. Art Neville, John Mayer, Mavis Staples, Dr. John. My only qualm--why no country star? Hell, this record would be awesome if Merle Haggard sang "Cryin' Time" or Junior Brown sang and played his axe on "Busted".

At any rate, it's great to hear a jazzer interpret C&W material, and Scofield churns out another winner with this one.

Spider's Egg Post-Fusion Contemporary
Peter And Will Anderson featuring Jimmy Cobb Hard Bop
PETER AND WILL ANDERSON
Newport Jazz Festival 1973 Hard Bop
SONNY ROLLINS

Haze of Summer (feat. Joy Rose)
INCOGNITO