MARK WINGFIELD — Tales From The Dreaming City (review)

MARK WINGFIELD — Tales From The Dreaming City album cover Album · 2018 · Fusion Buy this album from MMA partners
4.5/5 ·
kev rowland
Wingfield’s newest album, ‘Tales From The Dreaming City’, in many ways follows straight on from his previous solo album, 2015’s ‘Proof Of Light’. In between the two he had worked on other releases, but here he is back again with bassist Yaron Stavis and drummer Asaf Sirkis, as well as special guest synth performer Domonique Vantomme who features on three of the songs. Although it is directly related in many ways to ‘Proof’, here it is just more, in every way. The warmth of the bass and staccato of the drums contrasts with the fluidity of the guitar, as Wingfield continues to push sonic boundaries in what is expected from the instrument, as well as showing that when the occasion is right he can shred with the best of them.

While Holdsworth and Metheny are still major influences, added to that can be Steve Hillage, Adrian Belew and Steve Vai, all blending together in a style that is very much his own. This is music that is pushing the boundaries of what one expects from fusion, at times moving more into Avant and RIO territory, but always returning back. But although Wingfield is often the lead melodic voice, it is the interplay with all the others that makes this album what it is, with everyone taking centre stage when the time is right. This is music that captivates the listener and takes them on a journey, leaving them breathless when reality once again kicks in. These guys continue to weave their magic spell, and some segments are so beautiful the listener is filled with emotion. As with everything I have ever heard from this incredible guitarist, this is definitely worth hearing.

Murmur Eclectic Fusion