STAN GETZ — Previously Unreleased Recordings (aka Stan Getz & Bill Evans) (review)

STAN GETZ — Previously Unreleased Recordings (aka Stan Getz & Bill Evans) album cover Album · 1973 · Cool Jazz Buy this album from MMA partners
Amilisom
When I first heard about this album I thought, "Wow! An album with both Stan Getz and Bill Evans originally recorded in 1964!" What I expected was to experience a truly unique and magical moment with the laid-back styles of Evans and Getz. Absolute cool jazz bliss.

When I began listening, I began to realize that it was, in simple terms, not that way. Many of the tracks have a faint touch of post bop aggressiveness provided by the drummer, who I found myself enjoying more and more throughout the album without knowing who he was. Eventually the time came when my desire to know surpassed my own laziness and I researched this album.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvin Jones, the drummer of the famous post-bop album "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane is drumming for a cool jazz album with Evans and Getz!

It's actually a cool combination. The active feel seems to push Getz and Evans to play a little more aggressively in their solos. There is also a really cool moment in "My Heart Stood Still" where Getz and Evans improvise together, and Elvin Jones takes trade-off solos in "Funkallero". But there are moments where the feel isn't as aggressive. The ballads "But Beautiful" and "Melinda" are beautiful, cool-jazz moments.

Any fans of Bill Evans or Stan Getz who want to hear cool jazz with post-bop flavors from Elvin Jones should look into this album.

Lost Ships World Fusion