MYSTERIES OF THE REVOLUTION — Mysteries Of The Revolution (review)

MYSTERIES OF THE REVOLUTION — Mysteries Of The Revolution album cover Album · 2008 · Nu Jazz Buy this album from MMA partners
progshine
Mysteries Of The Revolution is a trio from England that plays a mix of Instrumental Jazz Rock with touchs of Progressive Rock and Jazz Fusion here and there. The trio is formed by BB Davis (drums, flutes, percussion and vocals), Dan Biro (keyboards and percussion) and Mark Smith (bass). Their self-titled debut album was released in 2008 by Blue Serene Focus and according to the band they're now in studio recording their second album.

To be honest with you I was expecting some Jazz Fusion nonsense with loads of free improvised music and not much direction to it. What a mistake!

Mysteries Of The Revolution (2008) is an album that pretty much follows the Symphonic Prog patch in many moments (like in the fantastic 'The Crunch') but with a Jazz Rock feeling to it like in bands as Weather Report or Passport. More Jazz Rock/Prog moments can also be heard in 'Romantica'. We have some more pure Jazz moments in 'Storius Sensorius' and in the bass moment of 'Nico' where Mark Smith shines with amazing lines.

There's some small moments on the record and I do think that 64 minutes is way too much for an album like this but the overall feeling that stays after listening to Mysteries Of The Revolution (2008) is that we have a great album with a fantastic production and musicianship and loads of great vintage sounding instruments.

This is an album that you can easily listen with a smile on your face. A must have for Jazz Rock lovers!

Melody to My Skull Fusion