WEATHER REPORT — I Sing the Body Electric (review)

WEATHER REPORT — I Sing the Body Electric album cover Album · 1972 · Fusion Buy this album from MMA partners
Warthur
Split between extracts from a furious Tokyo performance showcasing Weather Report's louder, faster side (the full performance is available on the Live In Tokyo album) and studio tracks with a more laid-back fusion approach reminiscent of In a Silent Way (no surprise, since Joe Zawinul composed the title track from that album!), this is a great effort from the jazz end of the fusion spectrum. Weather Report tend to be a bit less prone to heavy riffs and hard rocks than, say, the Mahavishnu Orchestra, but in the live tracks they show a more aggressive side to their character - particularly on Directions, which is an admirable blueprint for straight-ahead hard fusion of the sort that the likes of, say, Soft Machine would end up adopting in the mid-1970s.

The album's major flaw is in the discontinuity between one side in the next, and in the fact that the live tracks have been edited - I imagine most Weather Report fans would much rather have the unedited show as found on Live In Tokyo - so I wouldn't put this towards the top of my Weather Report recommendations. Still, those who are particularly fond of Weather Report - or of Miles Davis' first two fusion albums - will find enjoyment here.

mittyjing wrote:
more than 2 years ago
the first side of this album is a great piece of modern fusion. Unknown Soldier and Second Sunday in August are amazing. I remember buying this album and being blown away. "This wasn't like Birdland." The first two weather report albums are among their best.

In D World Fusion
BROOKLYN RAGA MASSIVE
Jahari Masamba Unit : Pardon My French Jazz Related Electronica/Hip-Hop
MADLIB
Universe RnB
NEAL SCHON
Haunted Carbonek Jazz Related Improv/Composition
MARTIN PYNE

Papa John Creach - "Bumble Bee Blues"
PAPA JOHN CREACH
js· 54 minutes ago
Great 3 Kikuchi=Peacock=Togashi - Begin the Beguine (Full Album)
GREAT 3 (MASABUMI KIKUCHI - GARY PEACOCK - MASAHIKO TOGASHI)
snobb· 12 hours ago