RETURN TO FOREVER — Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy (review)

RETURN TO FOREVER — Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy album cover Album · 1973 · Fusion Buy this album from MMA partners
Miler72
To me, I really felt this is the first real Return to Forever album. Light as a Feather still found the band exploring Brazilian/Bossa Nova stuff (helps that Flora Purim was on the album), although it's a highly regarded album, but it's with Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy that they really take off. No more Bossa Nova, or even vocals, for that matter, here's you get Chick Corea (naturally), bassist Stanley Clarke, guitarist Bill Connors, and drummer Lenny White. This time they go right to the jugular, unbridled breakneck fast playing from all around, it's as if Corea was blown away by what Mahavishnu Orchestra was doing and felt they needed to do something just like it (but without violin). Bill Connors' guitar playing has a rather distinct rock style, which you won't mistake for John McLaughlin. In fact the reason for Bill Connors departure was apparently the music was too similar to Mahavishnu Orchestra for his liking (he probably wanted something a bit more original). Regardless, this is totally recommended if you love Mahavishnu, that similar breakneck fast playing from everyone involved. Most of the music follows a similar pattern, but "Captain Senor Mouse" has a rather catch melody to goes with the extended jamming and "Space Circus (Part II)" is quite funky. If you don't mind the obvious Mahavhisnu Orchestra feel to it, I really highly recommend this!

Roberto Magris Sextet : Sun Stone Hard Bop