MICHAEL GREGORY JACKSON — Heart & Center (review)

MICHAEL GREGORY JACKSON — Heart & Center album cover Album · 1979 · RnB Buy this album from MMA partners
KTMcD
Rolling Stone reviewer Robert Palmer called 'Heart & Center' “Michael Gregory Jackson’s Future Funk". “...Jackson’s second album [Heart & Center] for Arista/Novus is unlike anything that’s been heard before. The rhythms, a varied lot, tend toward funk, and his songs and vocal style clearly relate to Earth Wind & Fire and Stevie Wonder. On the other hand, the melodies...incorporate Stravinsky-ish interval jumps that would terrify most pop vocalists, and the shimmering backdrop of voices, guitars and synthesizers, all overdubbed by Jackson, bring to mind the orchestral voicings of the late Duke Ellington. ...Jackson is blending a staggering variety of influences into a...coherent whole."

KTMcD wrote:
1 year ago
Rolling Stone reviewer Robert Palmer called 'Heart & Center' “Michael Gregory Jackson’s Future Funk", saying

Arm-Sized Legging Eclectic Fusion
MATT RENZI
Shackleton / Zimpel : Primal Forms Jazz Related Electronica/Hip-Hop
WACLAW ZIMPEL
Peter Brötzmann / Paul G. Smyth : Tongue In A Bell Avant-Garde Jazz
PETER BRÖTZMANN

Grown
WAAJU
MON DAVID ?Throw It Away?
MON DAVID
Manna/Mirage 3 FACE "Tunnels and Domes"
MANNA/MIRAGE