STEELY DAN — Greatest Hits (review)

STEELY DAN — Greatest Hits album cover Boxset / Compilation · 1978 · RnB Buy this album from MMA partners
seyo
This collection was my induction to the wonderful world of STEELY DAN, so it has a personal value for me. I bought it in the format of double cassette tape, which was issued locally by Beograd Disk label in Yugoslavia in the early 1980s through license catalog of ABC Records.

The songs that immediately caught my attention were "Do It Again", "Reeling in the Years", "Show Biz Kids" (although I was too young to appreciate it back then), "Doctor Wu", "Haitian Divorce" (amazing wah-wah guitar solo), "The Fez" and "Peg". It is quite representative compilation of first six albums, up to and including "Aja", although many excellent songs were omitted.

This compilation is focused more on the shorter, radio-friendly side of the SD so the title "Greatest Hits" seems appropriate in this case. Today the first-time listeners have more and better choice in selecting a proper compilation CD to get a feeling of the SD music, but this old vinyl collection was also important for me because it forced me to buy studio albums later on. I will give 4 stars for historical importance and personal love of this first official compilation!

Soné Ka La 2 / Odyssey World Fusion
Harmonic Constituent 21st Century Modern
JASON ROBINSON

Beast from the East
WILD CARD
The Interval (Jason Robinson)
JASON ROBINSON
Un Nin~o Azul
RASCHID ALE
Set Your Soul Free (Live)
TREY ANASTASIO