STAN GETZ — Getz/Gilberto (review)

STAN GETZ — Getz/Gilberto album cover Album · 1964 · Bossa Nova Buy this album from MMA partners
4.5/5 ·
liontime
Girl from Ipanema often defines this record for many due to the song's outrageous popularity; however, the seven other songs on this record aren't just filler to try and sell a single as an LP. This album is an excellent blend of jazz and pop.

To me, this is Getz's pinnacle. There are no other recordings where Getz is as sincere, sweet or warm. Joao Gilberto backs Getz wonderfully and takes the spotlight on many occasions, singing even at times. Both sides of the record start with a jazz/pop song featuring Astrud Gilberto whose enthralling voice irresistibly draws one into warm summer nights past.

There's nothing technically ground breaking or particularly imaginative about this album but if that's your qualm, you're missing the point. It's one of the most inviting and captivating records ever made. Put this on anywhere, anytime and drift away.

Jonathan Suazo / Gabriel Vicens / Leonardo Osuna : No Base Trio Jazz Related Improv/Composition
JONATHAN SUAZO