ANTHONY BRAXTON — Dortmund (Quartet) 1976 (review)

ANTHONY BRAXTON — Dortmund (Quartet) 1976 album cover Live album · 1991 · Avant-Garde Jazz Buy this album from MMA partners
4.5/5 ·
snobb
Anthony Braxton's discography is so huge and a lot of his works are so quirky that for many he stays "known but hardly an accessible artist". There is some truth to such a point of view for sure, but any problem has a solution. If you are interested in checking out Braxton, but don't know where to start, or if you have already tried and burned your fingers (and ears), but are brave enough to try one more time, just start here!

This is one of the best albums Braxton ever recorded and possibly the most listener-friendly one of them all. "Dortmund (Quartet)1976" contains four piano-less compositions recorded live. The line-up is an all-star one, which is not such a rare case for Braxton recordings, but here it really works. Drummer Barry Altschul and bassist Dave Holland demonstrate excellent rhythmic support, but the real star of the show is the Braxton quartet's newcomer, the then young trombonist George Lewis. His virtuoso soloing and almost telepathic feel for the other band members brings the music to the level of small magic.

Fortunately the musical material is hard-bop based (with one marching composition), so one can expect tuneful and melodic listening. Try this Braxton friendly and sparkling work - it is very possible you will find his music to yourself (or refresh your love to his music once again).

Breathe: Night Sessions Jazz Related RnB