PREDMESTJE — Danes Včeraj In... (review)

PREDMESTJE — Danes Včeraj In... album cover Album · 1979 · Post-Fusion Contemporary Buy this album from MMA partners
3.5/5 ·
seyo
The second PREDMESTJE album introduced two new members. Tone Dimnik (ex BULDOZER) replaced Janez Hvale on drums, while jazz veteran Lado Jaksa (also worked with SONCNA POT and BULDOZER) took the saxophone.

Music style is closer to jazz-rock than on the debut and overall sound and production is much clearer and better produced. There are three vocal songs, all the rest are instrumentals. Nothing outstanding is heard on "Danes, vceraj in" ("Today, Tonight And"), so if you are fan of MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA, RETURN TO FOREVER, Pierre Moerlen's GONG or LEB I SOL, you will enjoy this record too.

Of course, this album suffers from typical fusion problems: at moments too flat and boring music with outstanding instrumental skills shown by musicians, but lacking innovation, emotion or diversity. This is evident on the first half of Side B of the vinyl, where these guys approach the sleazy Latin muzak territory.

However, good moments prevail and particularly interesting, melodic and strong compositions are "Paklenski stroj" ("Time Bomb"), "Danes je moj zadnji dan" ("Today Is My Last Day"), "Zivim za jutri" ("I Live For Tomorrow") and "Slepa ulica" ("Cul de Sac"). Andrej Pompe and Peter Gruden show on this album that they are capable composers and players, although they sometimes lack brevity and energy to pursue more adventurous structures.

Still, this album is very good record that confirmed PREDMESTJE as a premier jazz-rock act in the former Yugoslavian scene.

Monsters' Impromptu Funk Jazz
MONSTERS' IMPROMPTU
O Holy Night Bossa Nova
AS IS (ALAN AND STACEY SCHULMAN)
Places World Fusion
ZHIVKO VASILEV
Drift to This Jazz Related Electronica/Hip-Hop
FUNKI PORCINI

As Is - O Holy Night - Music Lyric Video
AS IS (ALAN AND STACEY SCHULMAN)
Trite Pati