HERBIE HANCOCK — Crossings (review)

HERBIE HANCOCK — Crossings album cover Album · 1972 · Fusion Buy this album from MMA partners
4.5/5 ·
Miler72
I can't believe how much I am blown away by this album, the second album with the Mwandishi band, Hancock with Bennie Maupin, Eddie Henderson, Buster Williams, Julian Priester, and Billy Hart. This was his first album with Patrick Gleeson helping out (he also helps on his following, Sextant). Now this is the type of fusion I like best, rather non-mainstream, not easy to get into, but pretty trippy. It's often difficult for me to describe this music, but you get treated with lots of Hancock's keyboards and tons of wind instruments, drums, and bass playing from the other band members. I really love how "Water Torture" ends with some of the most sinister sounding Mellotron I had ever heard. I only wished Hancock used the tron a little more, because if the tron was used all over and in a similar manner, you can be sure it would rank there with King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King and the "Classic Seven" Moody Blues albums for Mellotron usage. But even if the Mellotron is just confined to "Water Torture", it's simply one of my all-time favorite Mellotron moments. I can also very highly recommend his followup Sextant as well, if you like what he does here!

Seductive Fantasy Avant-Garde Jazz