TRAIN — Coo-Coo Out! (review)

TRAIN — Coo-Coo Out! album cover Album · 1977 · Fusion Buy this album from MMA partners
4.5/5 ·
Miler72
Just when you think you've heard it all in the world of fusion comes this obscure German group Train (not the American band who did "Meet Virginia" and "Hey Soul Sister") who only released one album in 1977, Coo Coo Out, and that was it. This is all over the place, and that's why I really enjoy, too many fusion albums end up sounding too samey in the end. At times they'll remind you a bit of Passport, thanks to the presence of sax, or perhaps Weather Report (the sax playing isn't as cheesy as Klaus Doldinger's frequently was), perhaps a bit of Soft Machine, the acoustic-side of John McLaughlin, and perhaps Chick Corea's Return to Forever. It's not the most original, but there are some really great and creative passages making this an album worth investigating. Sadly this was never reissued, so you'll have to fork the money for an original LP, as that's the only way you can get to hear this on solid format. The music is on the mellower side of fusion, but I'm happy to say it never falls into Fuzak territory, but on the other hand it doesn't go full-on Mahavishnu either. Is this a lost gem of fusion? You bet it is!

What's the Hurry Vocal Jazz