MATANA ROBERTS — Coin Coin Chapter One: Gens De Couleur Libres (review)

MATANA ROBERTS — Coin Coin Chapter One: Gens De Couleur Libres album cover Live album · 2011 · Avant-Garde Jazz Buy this album from MMA partners
4.5/5 ·
snobb
Wow!NY-based sax player Matana Roberts has her roots in collaborations with a wide variety of artists such as jazz pianist Vijay Iyer and post-rock ensemble, Godspeed You! Black Emperor!(this album is released on long-time GY!BE! label Constellation), but this release is real jazz at its best!

At first this may sound like a mix of everything, but actually the obvious base for her music is the NYC jazz lofts culture of the 60s.COIN COIN was recorded live in the studio with Roberts leading a group of 15 musicians playing multiple saxophones, two trumpets, two basses, two violins, a cello, piano, prepared guitar, drums, musical saw, and doudouk. Matana combines Archie Shepp or avant-garde period Coltrane like sax with narrative vocals. The album's concept is based on slavery's history in America and continues to African American's life today. Sounding as modern as any of today's urban recordings, this music has deep roots in free jazz's "golden era". Announced as the first release in a big series, this is no doubt one of the greatest discoveries this year for me.

If you can think about a mix of gospel, Diamanda Galas, early Archie Shepp and Sun Ra without being shocked - this album is must have release for you.

Sudoku pour Pygmées Third Stream