CAL TJADER — Cal Tjader's Latin Concert (review)

CAL TJADER — Cal Tjader's Latin Concert album cover Live album · 1959 · Latin Jazz Buy this album from MMA partners
4.5/5 ·
Rokukai
What a treat this album is. Cool latin beats played by master craftsmen. Vince Guaraldi, Mongo Santamaria, and Willie Bobo join Tjeder and bassist Al McKibbon for this high energy recording. Cal the vibraphonist goes after it right away on "Viva Cepeda". The percussion is mesmerizing with the timbales and drums of Bobo intersecting with the Santamaria's congas.

A live recording, one would never know from listening. There's no crowd interaction, no lengthy breaks between songs, etc.... except three quarters of the way through the albums epic closer, "A Young Love". A ten plus minute workout, each member of the band gets to show their stuff. My My, what a quality product!

Tjader is one of my favorite latin oriented leaders to throw on the stereo. A few of the others on this recording are too, especially Guaraldi. That ranks this as a classic in my book, perhaps not immortal, but at certainly top of the heap.

If anyone out there wants some old latin jazz for your next cinco de mayo fiesta, or some chillout music for your next spring cleaning, this would be on my short list of recommendations.

Jazz Trumpet Hard Bop