HIROMI — Another Mind (review)

HIROMI — Another Mind album cover Album · 2003 · Fusion Buy this album from MMA partners
3.5/5 ·
snobb
Hiromi's smokin' debut album's fusion opened her the doors to big halls around the Europe (and around the world as well). I can hardly think about another piano-based jazz trio (ok,with some support of guest musicians here)with such energetic level!

All compositions are muscular,groovy with no even a traces of relaxed feel.In fact, Hiromi's influence here is rock,but music played is jazz. For sure,some great additional drive comes from fusion guitarist David Fiuczynski (the future member of Hiromi's fusion band Sonicbloom), but even trio themselves are elastic and radiating demonic energy.

Compositions on this album all are Hiromi's originals,they are usually carefully composed but always have enough space for improvisation. If you will remove all that energetic field from her songs,you will find there post-bop or even swing! But in muscular (not heavy) clothes all album sounds as one stadium concert program.

Hiromi's debut (at her 23) demonstrates excellent musical techniques and compositor's abilities. The only thing could make this album even better - bigger musical freedom on the account of energy,but it is question of taste for sure.

Zone : Live At The Yardbird Suite Post Bop