JAN GARBAREK — Afric Pepperbird (review)

JAN GARBAREK — Afric Pepperbird album cover Album · 1970 · Avant-Garde Jazz Buy this album from MMA partners
4.5/5 ·
snobb
Norwegian reeds player Jan Garbarek's second solo album and his debut on ECM label.Younger generation who knows Garbarek by his world fusion explorations and (often heavily criticized) polished saccharine-like new age influenced releases will be possibly really surprised by the music of this album.

Precise,cool and robust free-jazz based, it is not easy to believe this album was recorded by the same artist.With a support of three other leading Norwegian jazz musicians, this album represents best country's musicians quartet of early 70s. Sound is clear and airy and this album is often mentioned as what later will be known as "ECM sound" standard. Andersen/Christensen rhythm section builds perfect structure of all compositions, framed but with huge space inside for Garbarek sax and Rypdal guitar's improvs. With its roots in post-bop, album's music is excellent example of progressive and innovative sound which is fresh and experimental, but not noisy or destructive at the same time.

One of the best (if not just The Best) Garbarek's solo album and excellent Nordic avant-garde jazz release, influenced European and world jazz evolution process for years ahead.

Sudoku pour Pygmées Third Stream