MILTON NASCIMENTO — Clube da Esquina

MILTON NASCIMENTO - Clube da Esquina cover
4.80 | 6 ratings | 1 review

Album · 1972

1. Tudo que você podia ser (2:56)
2. Cais (2:45)
3. O trem azul (4:05)
4. Saídas e Bandeiras nº 1 (0:45)
5. Nuvem cigana (2:59)
6. Cravo e canela (2:31)
7. Dos cruces (5:22)
8. Um girassol da cor de seu cabelo (4:12)
9. San Vicente (2:46)
10. Estrelas (0:28)
11. Clube da Esquina nº 2 (3:38)
12. Paisagem na janela (2:58)
13. Me deixa em paz (3:05)
14. Os povos (4:30)
15. Saídas e Bandeiras nº 2 (1:30)
16. Um gosto de Sol (4:20)
17. Pelo amor de Deus (2:06)
18. Lilia (2:33)
19. Trem de doido (3:58)
20. Nada será como antes (3:23)
21. Ao que vai nascer (3:20)

Total Time: 64:21

-Milton Nascimento/ lead vocal ( on tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20 and 21), backing vocals (on 10, 11, 12 and 19) , acoustic guitar (on tracks 2, 4, 7, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18 and 21) and piano (on tracks 2, 5 and 16)
-Lô Borges/ lead vocal (on tracks 3, 6, 8, 10, 11 and 19), backing vocals (on tracks 8, 17, 19 and 20), acoustic guitar (on tracks 1 and 10), electric guitar (on tracks 3, 5, 9, 11 and 19), percussion (on tracks 13 and 15) and piano (on tracks 8 and 12)
-Beto Guedes/ lead vocals (on tracks 4, 15 and 20) , backing vocals (on tracks 3, 8, 10, 12 and 19), bass guitar (on tracks 1, 3, 9, 12 and 15), electric guitar (on tracks 7, 17, 19 and 20), 12-string "viola" (on track 5) and percussion (on tracks 6, 9, 13 and 18)
-Tavito/ 12-string guitar (on track 1), electric guitar (on tracks 6, 8, 12, 18 and 20), acoustic guitar (on tracks 7 and 9), percussion (on track 14) and backing vocals (on tracks 9)
-Wagner Tiso/ backing vocals (on track 10), organ (on tracks 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 11, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19 and 21), acoustic piano (on tracks 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 20 and 21) and electric piano (on track 17)
-Toninho Horta/ backing vocals (on tracks 8 and 10), acoustic guitar (on track 6), electric guitar (on tracks 1, 3 and 21), bass guitar (on tracks 5, 7, 19 and 20) and assorted percussion (on tracks 2, 4, 15, 17 and 18)
-Robertinho Silva/ drums (on tracks 3, 10, 13, 14 and 20) and percussion (on tracks 2, 6, 7, 9, 17, 18 and 21)
-Luiz Alves/ double bass (on tracks 2, 5 and 7), bass guitar (on tracks 6, 11, 13, 14, 17, 18 and 21) and assorted percussion (on tracks 1, 6, 7 and 9)
-Nelson Angelo/ guitar (on tracks 4, 8, 11, 12 and 15), percussion (on tracks 7, 9, 13 and 18) and piano (on track 17)
-Rubinho/ drums (on tracks 4, 5, 12, 15, 19 and 21) and percussion (on track 1)
-Alaíde Costa/ lead vocals (on track 13)
-Paulo Moura/ conducting ( on tracks 5, 8 and 16)
-Eumir Deodato/ arranged tracks 8, 11, 16
-Luiz Gonzaga Jr./ backing vocals on track 10

Odeon – SMOAB 6005 (Brazil)

Thanks to kazuhiro, snobb, js for the updates

Buy MILTON NASCIMENTO - CLUBE DA ESQUINA music

$87.58
Clube Da EsquinaClube Da Esquina
UNIVERSAL JAPAN 2014
$50.62 (used)
Showing 4 items | Cache expiring in 11h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

MILTON NASCIMENTO CLUBE DA ESQUINA reviews

No MILTON NASCIMENTOCLUBE DA ESQUINA reviews posted by specialists/experts yet.

Oneiromante
It has been said that "Clube da Esquina" is arguably the best Brazilian music album, which is quite a feat considering there are many great Brazilian records out there. Milton Nascimento and the not-quite-as-sucessful-but-just-as-brilliant Lô Borges (to whom the album is also credited) managed to fill most of two discs with great songs - some of which are true masterpieces. Not to mention that Milton's singing is, as usual, both gorgeous and passionate.

I must admit, however, that I am not entirely sure if "Clube da Esquina" belongs to Jazz (or any other genre, for that matter): "Trem de Doido" sounds like a Rock song,"Dos Cruces"* has a very Spanish feel to it to it and "O Trem Azul" somewhat resembles Jazz, but most of it doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before. "Um Girassol da Cor de seu Cabelo" defies nearly every convention in harmony (and yet sounds wonderful), and I can't quite figure what is the rhytm on "Cravo e Canela". Milton performances on "Clube da Esquina Nº 2", "Os Povos", "Um Gosto de Sol" and "San Vicente" transmit such passion and emotion I feel as if my heart tightens inside my chest (and I'm not kidding nor exaggerating - I barely have the courage to admit it in front of you).

It is also worth noting some songs have been interpreted by Elis Regina ("Cais" and "Nada Será Como Antes"), Antonio Carlos "Tom" Jobim (namely "O Trem Azul") and Wayne Shorter ("Lilia"), which should be more than enough to encourage Jazz fans to listen to "Clube da Esquina".

As much as I'd like to describe and highlight every song, that would take much longer than what I consider acceptable. I am bound, however, to point out some flaws: "Saídas e Bandeiras", though good, are hardly remarkable in such an awesome album, whereas "Pelo Amor de Deus" and "Ao Que Vai Nascer" are just plain uninteresting. And sometimes I wish "Estrelas" lasted longer. Nothing compared to the sheer wonder of everything else on "Clube da Esquina". A masterpiece.

*I've actually found out "Dos Cruces" was actually written by the Spanish composer Carmelo Larrea. How did it reach the other side of the Atlantic and landed on Milton Nascimento's ears is beyond me, though.

• GKAZZ