KERRY MOFFIT — What Goes Around Comes Around

7. M.I. 6:25
8. BUT BEAUTIFUL 6:44

Kerry Moffit, trumpet, flugelhorn
Seth Ebersole, alto & tenor saxophones
Rob Killips, trombone (1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8)
Altin Sinclair, trombone (3, 6)
Arlene Pritchard McDaniel, Fender Rhodes, Casio Prive (1, 3, 4, 6, 8)
Luther Allison, Fender Rhodes (2, 5, 7)
Terri Newman, acoustic bass
Ian LeVine, drums

Turning Circles Music

Thanks to snobb for the addition and js for the updates

Buy KERRY MOFFIT - WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND music

More places to buy metal & KERRY MOFFIT music

KERRY MOFFIT WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND reviews

js
Today’s entry in the ongoing series on musicians who deserve wider recognition goes to Kerry Moffit and his debut album as a leader, “What Goes Around Comes Around”. Kerry has been performing, arranging and composing for over 40 years, yet chances are you are not familiar with him. One reason for this is that much of Moffit’s career has been in working with US Air Force bands, both in the states and in Europe. The Air Force band program provides a great resource for musicians who need to be working steadily because they have a family to raise. Its just not practical for a struggling musician to take his family to a small cold water apartment in NYC while he searches for work, so the Air Force provides top notch professional gigs for those who choose that route. Since leaving the Air Force in 2015, Kerry has been working with top talent such as Chuck Mangione, Louis Bellson, Arturo Sandoval and more.

The music on “What Goes Around…” centers around contemporary hard bop plus some Latin grooves and a few impressionistic ballads. Moffit is a virtuoso on trumpet who mostly avoids gimmicks and ’sounds’ and instead plays clean and fast streams of notes. I suppose this would be a continuation of the Clifford Brown school of boppin trumpet. The rest of the band is equally adept at their instrument with special mention going to Seth Ebersole’s sweet and fluid alto sax that recalls Phil Woods and Cannonball Adderly. A big plus on this record are Kerry’s creative arrangements. Moffit treats his three horn front line like a mini big band with sectional trade off’s that recall Duke Ellington and other Moffit influences such as Sammy Nestico and Neal Hefti. My ears also hear a lot of 60s Quincy Jones, especially in the TV theme flavored “This I Dig of You” and “Katrina Ballerina”.Half the tunes on here are standards and the other half are Moffit originals. Some top originals include “Free for All”, which is high speed hard bop with an interesting Ornette styled stop-start opening theme, and “20-4” Jam”, which has a Latin fusion flavor and features simultaneous soloing from all the horns towards the end of the track.

No KERRY MOFFIT WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND reviews posted by members yet.

No KERRY MOFFIT ratings only posted yet.

Future Memories 21st Century Modern