GARY MCFARLAND — The Gary McFarland Orchestra - Special Guest Soloist: Bill Evans

GARY MCFARLAND - The Gary McFarland Orchestra - Special Guest Soloist: Bill Evans cover
3.50 | 2 ratings | 1 review

Guitar – Jim Hall
Piano – Bill Evans
Vibraphone – Gary McFarland
Viola – Aaron Juvelier, Julian Barber

Verve Records – V6-8518 (US)

Recorded at Webster Hall, New York City,
Dec. 18 1962 & Jan. 24 1963

Thanks to snobb for the addition and js for the updates

Buy GARY MCFARLAND - THE GARY MCFARLAND ORCHESTRA - SPECIAL GUEST SOLOIST: BILL EVANS music

Amazon (logo)
No release results found : showing artist results instead
Point of DeparturePoint of Departure
Special Guest Soloist: Bill EvansSpecial Guest Soloist: Bill Evans
Phono 2016
$9.80
$7.06 (used)
This Is Gary McFarland (CD + DVD)This Is Gary McFarland (CD + DVD)
Multiple Formats
Century 67 2014
$17.99
$11.69 (used)
How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying: The Jazz Version/Gloomy Sunday & Other Bright Moments [2 On 1]How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying: The Jazz Version/Gloomy Sunday & Other Bright Moments [2 On 1]
Polygram Records 1995
$7.98 (used)
profiles LPprofiles LP
ABC IMPULSE
$20.00 (used)
America The Beautiful, An Account Of Its DisappearanceAmerica The Beautiful, An Account Of Its Disappearance
DCC Compact Classics, Inc. 2011
$15.99
Showing 7 items | Cache expiring in 25h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Right Now on Ebay (logo)
0 results found for "gary mcfarland" the gary mcfarland orchestra special guest soloist: bill evans
Retry your search with "gary mcfarland" on eBay.com website

GARY MCFARLAND THE GARY MCFARLAND ORCHESTRA - SPECIAL GUEST SOLOIST: BILL EVANS reviews

No GARY MCFARLANDTHE GARY MCFARLAND ORCHESTRA - SPECIAL GUEST SOLOIST: BILL EVANS reviews posted by specialists/experts yet.

Amilisom
I'm going to have to admit that the only reason why I listened to this album, as well as how I discovered it was because of Bill Evans. Before this I had no idea what the Gary McFarland Orchestra was. My impression before listening was that this was something around the lines of "Bill Evans with the Gary McFarland Orchestra" rather than "The Gary McFarland Orchestra with Bill Evans". The latter is the most accurate.

I suppose as a result I was slightly disappointed, as I was expecting an "Arbour Zena" or "Sketches of Spain" style of music. This is none of those. It features the members of the orchestra just as much as, if not more, than Bill Evans himself. But that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as your expectations are in the right place.

Being in JMA's "Progressive Big Band" category, this is a unique style of music. The term "Orchestra" can be rather deceptive. Within the Gary McFarland Orchestra are two bowed stringed instruments (viola and cello), two wind instruments (flute and clarinet), guitar, bass, drums, and Gary McFarland himself vibraphone. Although I tend to enjoy vibraphone solos, this album kind of overuses the vibes in situations when I would be preferring to hear a nice instrumental with the other instruments. I actually find myself wishing the vibes would stay out of the way at times.

Dispite all I've said, this album does have its good moments here and there. Many of the instrumentals sound nice and creative and can evoke mental images of serene landscapes (particularly "Night Images"). Bill Evans sounds good as usual (at least when he is featured), and the vibraphone solos aren't necessarily poor.

So, I would say this is no "Arbour Zena" or "Sketches of Spain", but it is certainly worth a listen for anybody who is interested in hearing something different than the usual.

• Fant0mas

Wareika Hill Rastamonk Vibrations Dub/Ska/Reggae
MONTY ALEXANDER
Slavic Spirits Eclectic Fusion
EABS (ELECTRO ACOUSTIC BEAT SESSIONS)
Chapters Eclectic Fusion
KNEEBODY
Music of Allen Toussaint Jazz Related RnB
NEW ORLEANS JAZZ ORCHESTRA

Rhythm-a-Ning
MONTY ALEXANDER
js· 25 minutes ago
EABS - Leszy
EABS (ELECTRO ACOUSTIC BEAT SESSIONS)
js· 50 minutes ago