GABOR SZABO — High Contrast

B1 Just A Little Communication 7:45
B2 If You Don't Want My Love 5:08
B3 I Remember When 7:35

Total Time: 40:11

Bass – Wolfgang Meltz (tracks: A2 to B2)
Congas – Felix Falcon (Flaco)
Drums – Jim Keltner
Percussion – Carmelo Garcia (tracks: A1 to A3)
Rhythm Guitar [Electric] – Bobby Womack
Tambourine, Percussion [Gourd] – The Shadow

Blue Thumb Records ‎– BTS 28 (US)

Recorded At – Record Plant, Los Angeles & Capitol Studios

Thanks to snobb, js for the updates

Buy GABOR SZABO - HIGH CONTRAST music

Amazon (logo)
High ContrastHigh Contrast
Higher Plane 2014
$16.93
$83.18 (used)
High Contrast by GABOR SZABO (2014-06-10)High Contrast by GABOR SZABO (2014-06-10)
Higher Plane
$156.38
High ContrastHigh Contrast
Imports 2015
$48.72 (used)
Showing 3 items | Cache expiring in 13h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Right Now on Ebay (logo)
Showing all 11 items | Price may be different, data is cached, expiring in 24h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com

GABOR SZABO HIGH CONTRAST reviews

No GABOR SZABOHIGH CONTRAST reviews posted by specialists/experts yet.

Sean Trane
As far as I know, this is Szabo’s first incursion in jazz-rock/fusion territory and it was a fairly successful one, partly because he has some high-profile friend, such as Bobby Womack on rhythm guitar, Jim Keltner on drums and Falco on percussions. Don’t get me wrong: despite its 71 release date, High Contrast is definitely not a fiery energy-filled lava-hot jazz rock album. Nope, we’re more in the CTI-label brand of 70’s light-fusion that would eventually veer into the 80’s soft-jazz.

Don’t be discouraged by the opening aptly-titled Breezin’, which present a gentle soft-Latin-jazz with over-mixed string arrangements, as it’s indeed a light summer breeze that won’t ruffle your feathers, but will not awake you either. Of much greater interest is the steamy Amazon piece, which has a slight Santana reminiscence, if you overlook Carlos’ inimitable guitar sound’s absence. The 7-mins+ Fingers instrumental piece (like the whole album) takes the debate a few steps higher while retaining the steamy Santana feel, with Falco’s excellent conga work and Levine’s dynamic piano to rise the energies sky-high. Bu (high) contrast, the soft string-overloaded Azure Blue can simply not compete and appears rather tedious, even though Szabo’s guitar is flawless.

On the flipside, the 7-mins+ Communication opens fire right from the first Latin flavoured notes reaching your eardrums and the Latin feast continues with the gentler If You Don’t Want. The closing almost-8mins I Remember When remains in the mid-tempo Latin genre, but tones down the energy, while retaining the quality of the previous tracks, if it wasn’t for the overly-present string arrangements at the end. Considering his previous works for Impulse and Indo-Jazz Fusion, HC is a surprising but pleasant change of direction, and hints at what his future albums will sound like in years to come, to culminate with 76’s Macho release.

• Fant0mas