ART LANDE — Skylight

B1 Moist Windows / Lawn Party 8:05
B2 Ente (To Go) 2:04
B3 Willow 9:08

Total Time 40:09

English Horn, Saxophone [Soprano], Flute [Wood], Oboe, Bass Clarinet – Paul McCandless
Percussion, Vibraphone, Marimba – David Samuels
Piano, Percussion – Art Lande

ECM Records ‎– ECM 1208 (Germany)

Recorded May 1981, Tonstudio Bauer, Ludwigsburg, Germany

Thanks to kazuhiro for the addition and snobb for the updates

Buy ART LANDE - SKYLIGHT music

Amazon (logo)
Showing 1 items | Cache expiring in 63h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Right Now on Ebay (logo)
0 results found for "art lande" skylight
Retry your search with "art lande" on eBay.com website

ART LANDE SKYLIGHT reviews

Steve Wyzard
ECM PASTORALISM

Until recent times, this was a very hard album to locate, especially in the USA - in fact, to this day, I've never seen an LP copy. Now that it's more readily available, listeners will be greatly rewarded by this one-off trio featuring Paul McCandless (Oregon) on woodwinds, Dave Samuels (Spyro Gyra/Double Image) on vibraphone and marimba, and Art Lande (Jan Garbarek/Gary Peacock/Rubisa Patrol) on piano and percussion. While no one player receives top billing, it is McCandless who dominates this material, pushing his many instruments to the absolute limit. And when I say "pastoralism", don't think "quiet and sleepy", rather "wide open spaces" or "resonant pictorial landscapes" more accurately describe the atmospheres contained within.

McCandless alternates his instruments on each track to create a wide variety of tones and timbres. The opening title track is a showpiece for soprano sax, with Lande providing Chick Corea-ish background colors. The hypnotic "Dance of the Silver Skeezix" is a quirky scherzo, with McCandless hitting some very shrill high notes on the oboe and Samuels creating kaleidoscopic textures on the marimba. "Duck in a Colorful Blanket (For Here)" is the obligatory free improv with McCandless on bass clarinet and Lande on cymbals. "Chillum" is a slow, drifting impressionistic piece for soprano sax, while the meandering "Moist Windows/Lawn Party" includes an English horn solo. The experimental "Ente (To Go)" is a duet for percussion and wood flute, and the closing "Willow" begins with piercing soprano sax only to resolve into something much dreamier.

As with many ECM recordings, some will say the music is "too classical" to be jazz, and "too jazzy" to be classical. My best recommendation would be if you enjoy the music of Lande, Samuels, and McCandless in other contexts, you should find much to appreciate here. And while it would be a stretch to consider Skylight an all-time classic, it remains to this day a thought-provoking exercise in musical pastoralism. Had it been more widely released, it might have found itself on many "Album of the Year, 1981" lists.

No ART LANDE SKYLIGHT reviews posted by members yet.

No ART LANDE ratings only posted yet.

Hope Post-Fusion Contemporary