DAVE HOLLAND — Dave Holland Quintet ‎: Jumpin' In (review)

DAVE HOLLAND — Dave Holland Quintet ‎: Jumpin' In album cover Album · 1984 · Post Bop Buy this album from MMA partners
3.5/5 ·
snobb
After the series of full avant-garde solo works in 70s, British bassist and one-time Miles Davis collaborator turned his direction to more post-bop sound. This album is debut release of his formed quintet, he will continue this project for years ahead.

Besides of Holland's bass, quintet contains drummer and three-pieces reeds section (incl. adventurous trombonist Julian Priester). Musically album's compositions (all of them but one are Holland's originals) could be placed somewhere between his avant-garde past and post-bop future. Reeds are on the absolute front of all musicianship with plenty of soloing, interesting interplays,etc. Rhythm section is competent, but too often sounds more as support team for brass. Taking its well framed structure from post-bop, there are enough space for free soloing (especially for all three reed players).

Much more accessible listening than Holland's earlier works, this album is far from too casual post bop recording. Still as for year 1983 I would prefer more modern sound, there are too many roots as for my taste.For fans of adventurous post-bop this album could be really nice listening (it is often described in jazz media as best Holland's release ever).

Vesúvio Latin Jazz