CHRIS LIGHTCAP — Chris Lightcap's Bigmouth ‎: Deluxe (review)

CHRIS LIGHTCAP — Chris Lightcap's Bigmouth ‎: Deluxe album cover Album · 2010 · Nu Jazz Buy this album from MMA partners
snobb
I'm trying to listen every new small Portuguese label Clean Feed's release I can find - this label releases one of most interesting music in Europe during last some years. "Deluxe" is excellent release of American band, released on this label which I discovered for myself last year.

The album starts with quite usual European nu jazz-influenced composition,driven by electric piano with multi-horns melody.Warm and soft and slightly melancholic - from very first sound this album is catching the listener. But straight after you will easily understand that this release is far not your another nu jazz album.

Energetic,but very melodic sound with two tenor and one alto saxes on front, with serious support from Rhodes and acoustic piano and great elastic rhythm section, this album just opens a whole musical world for the listener. Compositions all are velvet, mixing Coleman's melodic sax with Haden's aural world of Latin jazz in one comfortable,but never mellow mixture. Three sax players play together on some tracks and against each other on others. Some compositions contain nice free-jazz soloing. But most important - being quite diverse musically, all album sounds as one solid work, not like just a collection of songs. Melancholic and warm atmosphere is all around from very first sounds of opener till the last hordes of final song.

Rare case when album could be attractive for melodic accessible jazz fans and for jazz gourmets.One between best albums,coming from 2010 - really recommended!

Tao World Fusion