YES — Run Through the Light (review)

YES — Run Through the Light album cover Single · 1980 · Jazz Related Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
Prog Zone
Review - #22 (Yes - Run Through The Light)

This single came out the same year the Drama album was released, 1980. There is a "Official Version" and a "Promo Version" of this single. Firstly, we will address the official version. It contains both Run Through The Light and White Car. Run Through the Light has always been a wonderful song in my eyes and seems to be generally under appreciated by the majority of the Yes fanbase. I believe this is one of Trevor Horn's best vocal performances on the entire Drama album, not to mention featuring some truly great melodies throughout. It features Steve Howe playing a Les Paul guitar "in the background being very melancholy" with Chris Squire playing piano and Trevor Horn playing bass, something which Trevor Horn did not particularly want to do, but Chris Squire was able to convince him to do it. Overall, this is a terrific song with an excellent rhythm section all the way through. Next, we have White Car which is one of the shortest Yes songs to date clocking in at just over a minute. Geoff Downes played a Fairlight CMI synthesizer on the recording, to test its sampling capabilities. Geoff Downes once said that he "tried to simulate an orchestra using these samples, but it was very early days of digital sampling." This song fits somewhat well as a single when compared to the album, it is nothing incredible but a pleasant song that has some interesting keyboard arrangements/sounds throughout. The promo version is similar to the official version but instead of containing White Car it merely contains a mono and stereo version of Run Through The Light. Overall, I would rather obtain the official version of this release due to it containing an extra song. However, if you are someone who prefers mono versions of music this would surely be an interesting listen. In general, this is a pretty solid single that would be a good addition to any prog collection!

- 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘗𝘳𝘰𝘨 𝘈𝘳𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘴 (http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2538060)

Sophisticated Lady Vocal Jazz