TINA BROOKS — True Blue (review)

TINA BROOKS — True Blue album cover Album · 1960 · Hard Bop Buy this album from MMA partners
Mssr_Renard
The only album of Tina Brooks to be released during his lifetime. All of his other albums were released posthumous.

This album is very strong, containing 5 originals and 1 standard. The rhythmsection containing Sam Jones, Art Taylor and Duke Jordan is extremely tight and adventurous. Of course the stars of this album are Tina Brooks and Freddie Hubbard. Their interplay is infectious and both of the gentlemen are very hot here.

This album is a musthave hardbopper and I can recommend it to anyone. Also any Hubbard-enthiousiast should at least try this one out.

Extra points go to Duke Jordan, who in my opinion is very underrated (like fellow-bop-pianist Kenny Drew)

Mssr_Renard wrote:

Ancestral Numbers I 21st Century Modern
JASON ROBINSON
Modern Standards Fusion
BILL EVANS (SAX)

Jean-Pierre (feat. Darryl Jones)
BILL EVANS (SAX)