JOHN ZORN — The Art of Memory (with Fred Frith) (review)

JOHN ZORN — The Art of Memory (with Fred Frith) album cover Album · 1994 · Avant-Garde Jazz Buy this album from MMA partners
snobb
John Zorn's name during last two decades became synonym of avant-garde jazz (often - it's quirky side). But a lot of newcomers after few first trips into his huge discography are often surprised or even disoriented - far not every Zorn's album sounds as avant-garde jazz (or even related with any avant-garde at all). There is no mistake - big part of Zorn's (composed) music lay in such wide fields as modern classic, non-jazz experimental music or world (klezmer) among others.

There are still some very representative recordings, coming from Zorn's "classical" avant-garde jazz period, "The Art Of Memory" is great example. First of all, it is a duo between Zorn and one of most representative guitarist of improvisational music - Fred Frith. Both are in excellent form and the album is great evidence how fruitful and interesting improvisational jazz can sound when played by two masters. Only Frith's guitar and Zorn's alto sax sounds (plus some minimalistic tapes loops)build aural picture of thousand nuances. Not extremely freaky as Zorn's early experimental works,this music contains one of the best interplays in both musicians history. And - this release is great example how good improvisational sax player John Zorn is ( during last decade or even more he doesn't demonstrate his virtuosity too often).

Far not an easy listening, but one of great "classical" Zorn's avant-garde jazz works, must have album for every serious Zorn's music fan or researcher.

Joyride Post Bop