PAT METHENY — Pat Metheny Group : The Way Up (review)

PAT METHENY — Pat Metheny Group : The Way Up album cover Album · 2005 · Fusion Buy this album from MMA partners
darkshade
Where do I begin? This album is one of the best jazz-rock albums ever made. Why? Because not only is it well crafted music, but it is truly innovative music. There is no moment in the album where you are reminded of 70s fusion, in fact, though you can tell it is Metheny on guitar and Lyle Mays on keys, but everything that happens in the music is compltely original, which is hard to do with 2000s jazz-rock fusion.

Instead, the group create a fascinating experience for the listener. Think of this as a progressive rock fan's dream jazz album. The melodies are endless, and catchy, even some solos are hummable.

The Pat Metheny Group have made some very fine albums, and some that aren't completely my taste, but still well made. The ones that are good, are amazing, and I consider some almost 5 star albums. With The Way Up released in 2005(which is still their most recent album as of 2011), they finally achieved that "Masterpiece" status.

This music is refreshing coming from a group and guitarist who are veterans of jazz. The Way Up Part 1 first 6 minutes or so is pure prog heaven, some fantastic music all around; just sublime.

However, there are some complex pieces within The Way Up, and the music moves like classical music in structure. This is not an album you can wrap your head around in 2 or 3 listens. But when you hear it for the first few times, there is always something that sticks out, making you want to come back for more.

I cannot recommend this album enough, especially to show that this genre still has a lot to say, and can continue to progress. If you are a fan of Pat Metheny, you probably already have this album. If you aren't this is an essential album to have.

Happy Lockdown Jazz Related Rock

Flash of the Spirit
SANTI DEBRIANO
7/9/65
MILES DONAHUE
LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT - LTE3 (OFFICIAL TEASER)
LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT