DIXIE DREGS — Live At The Montreaux Jazz Festival (review)

DIXIE DREGS — Live At The Montreaux Jazz Festival album cover Movie · 2005 · Fusion Buy this album from MMA partners
Slartibartfast
This was the Dixie Dregs lineup that I first come to know live and otherwise. The Montreaux Jazz Festival performance was used for side two of the LP Night of the Living Dregs. I had no idea the concert was filmed. This represents the band at their prime. Keyboardist Mark Parrish, would soon be replaced by T Lavitz, who is a better keyboard player, but this as this performance testifies, he was no slouch either. Oddly enough, the back cover of this DVD shows a band picture with the original keyboardist from Freefall, Steve Davidowski (guess there was only room for one Steve in this band). Steve Morse was at his most inspired around this time, even though he has certainly grown in skill over the years.

The set list is a little disappointing as it lacks some of the prime cuts from What If (Night Meets Light, Odyssey, Travel Tunes, What If), but I'm not complaining. Now I have something more than just memories of the many Dregs shows I saw back then. It is more of a forward looking set which includes Attila The Hun, that didn't show up on an album until three years later. Also of note, but of less interest to progressive rock fans, is the bluegrass style ditty, Kathreen, never released on a regular album, but only showed up on their demo album, The Great Spectacular, from 1975. If you have a copy of that album, you have something rare, indeed.

Thrown in for bonus are two live TV appearances, one on American Can'tstand (Bandstand) and one on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert. On the former, you get to see them both try out a vocalist, in an attempt to appeal to a more mainstream audience, and with Mark O'Connor, who only played with them for one album, but a few great live shows before the band disbanded for a few years.

As great as the band studio albums were, the live shows took things to an even higher level. Now you can see what you missed, unless you didn't.

Oblivion Latin Jazz
The Bond Avant-Garde Jazz
DOPOLARIANS

Toluca Lake Jazz
DOUG MACDONALD
Dopolarians - "The Bond" (Excerpt)
DOPOLARIANS
Obsession (Live at Flagey)
ANTOINE PIERRE URBEX
CeCe Gable - More Than A Song
CECE GABLE
js· 2 days ago
Enzo Carniel & House of Echo - WALLSDOWN (Official Music Video)
ENZO CARNIEL & HOUSE OF ECHO