BEN GOLDBERG — Go Home (review)

BEN GOLDBERG — Go Home album cover Album · 2009 · Eclectic Fusion Buy this album from MMA partners
snobb
Comparing with Goldberg's release from 2006 (" The Door, The Chair, The Hat, The Fact"), this album is different world.Goldberg is known by his love to combine rock-influenced musicians with his own love to jazz from 50s and 60s in his projects, and this one is not an exemption. But this time one of the strongest element of all sound is electric 7-strings guitar of Charlie Hunter (in his teens he learned to play guitar in Berkeley,CA from Joe Satriani as his music teacher,but later turned to jazz and funk).

Scott Amendola plays very relaxed jazzy drums, fourth member of this bass-less quartet is reeds player Ron Miles. Two dominated directions in album's sound is electric guitar mid-tempo quite heavy sound (think about Bill Frisell,playing more heavy and bluesy)and reeds soloing over drummers relaxed rhythms. As usual, with big attention to melodies, music sounds slightly melancholic, but high-energy (almost rock-heavy)electric guitars soloing never let the music sound mellow.And even more - big part of compositions are groovy, even funky!

Four of ten compositions are recorded live and their addition between studio recordings gives even more fresh and informal feeling to all music. Being very different from earlier Goldberg avant-garde acoustic jazz recordings, this album at the same time has his clear and melodic clarinet sound's signature.Just another face of really interesting musician.

Disconnections World Fusion
FINAL STEP
Solo 7"s Vol​.​1 World Fusion
YAZZ AHMED
Listen Live at Sweet Basils Hard Bop
Focus Trio : Well Travelled Fusion
Pockets, Melodies and Sockets Jazz Related Electronica/Hip-Hop
MARC CARY

Joe Armon-Jones - Pray (Official Audio)
JOE ARMON-JONES