CÆCILIE NORBY — Arabesque (review)

CÆCILIE NORBY — Arabesque album cover Album · 2010 · Third Stream Buy this album from MMA partners
idlero
Caecilie Norby is one of the best living danish jazz singers-11 nominations for "Danish Vocal Jazz Album of the Year". Although she grew with classical music - her father was a conductor and composer, her mother an opera singer, she turned first to jazz(as part of the Jazzz/Funk group Frontline) , then to pop/rock ( three albums with the group 'One Two sold 250.000 albums only in Denmark), developing later her career mostly in jazz with four of her seven solo albums released by Blue Note. In 'Arabesque', her debut with ACT, she returns to her classical roots.She wrote both the music(some of it together with her husband, bassist Lars Danielsson who is also the producer of her albums) and the texts for most of the 15 tracks of the album, based on classical themes by Ravel, Faure, Satie, Rimsky-Korsakov, Debussy in addition to some tracks composed by Michel Legrand , one Abbey Lincoln song(Wholly Earth) and one composition by her father. As expected, 'Arabesque' is a marvelous blend of classical and jazz, played with great skill by some of the best artists in european jazz -Lars Danielsson, Bugge Wesseltoft, Katrine Gislinge(piano), Ulf Wakenius, Palle Mikkelborg, Hans Ulrok and Anders Engen. Melodic, original (just listen to the funky swing interpretation of 'Bei mir bist du schoen' ), elegant, slow, melancholic music played with great talent.

Monólogos a Dois Jazz Related Improv/Composition

JEANETTE LINDSTROM
Garmonbozia
MASTER OOGWAY
DAVID TORN : A CONCERT OF PREZENS
PREZENS (DAVID TORN'S PREZENS)
Lars Meets Jeff