JOHN COLTRANE — A Love Supreme (review)

JOHN COLTRANE — A Love Supreme album cover Album · 1965 · Post Bop Buy this album from MMA partners
Warthur
There's no denying that in John Coltrane jazz possessed an incredible talent. Musicians can spend years and years trying to carve an album as perfect as A Love Supreme; Coltrane and three sidemen knocked it out in a day. Years ahead of his time, Coltrane here offers an album-length composition in which he explores his spirituality through a combination of drifting but not entirely free playing coupled with some glorious post-bop soloing. Although it's not a fusion album, various fusion luminaries such as John McLaughlin or Carlos Santana have paid tribute to it over the years, and in some respects I can sort of see it as a precursor to Miles Davis' In a Silent Way - both albums leave you adrift in a sea of music and show a complete ability to tune the listener in to the emotional space required to best appreciate them. It's avant-garde material, but it's avant-garde which wants to be understood and is more than happy to guide the listener into a place where they are in rapport with it.

Highlight Jazz Related Electronica/Hip-Hop