YES — Going For The One

A2 Turn Of The Century 7:58
A3 Parallels 5:52
B1 Wonderous Stories 3:45
B2 Awaken 15:38

Acoustic Guitar – Steve Howe (tracks: A2, B2)
Bass Guitar – Chris Squire
Drums – Alan White (tracks: A1, A3, B1, B2)
Guitar – Steve Howe
Keyboards – Rick Wakeman (tracks: A1, A2, B2)
Organ – Rick Wakeman (tracks: A3, B2)
Percussion – Alan White
Piano – Rick Wakeman (tracks: A1, A2)
Synthesizer – Rick Wakeman (tracks: B1)
Vocals – Chris Squire, Jon Anderson, Steve Howe (tracks: A1, A3, B1, B2)

Atlantic ‎– K 50379 (UK)

Recorded at Mountain Studios, Montreux, Switzerland.

Thanks to snobb for the addition

Buy YES - GOING FOR THE ONE music

More places to buy metal & YES music

YES GOING FOR THE ONE reviews

No YESGOING FOR THE ONE reviews posted by specialists/experts yet.

Prog Zone
Review - #9 (Yes - Going For The One)

Yes was going for the one, but did they reach it? Following a brief hiatus, Yes was reformed in 1977 for their next album, Going For The One. The band's lineup of Jon Anderson on vocals, Steve Howe on guitars, Chris Squire on bass, and Alan White on drums remained consistent apart from the keyboard wizard himself, Rick Wakeman, merging back in the fold. Therefore, making Patrick Maraz only appear on one Yes studio album. Despite this, he remains one of my favorite keyboard players the band ever picked up. When compared to their previous few albums, Going for the One presents shorter and more direct songs (despite one in particular) and are not nearly as complex or challenging when compared to what had come before. In addition, Yes started to record with new engineering personnel. Since 1970, they had worked with audio engineer and producer Eddy Offord, who also mixed the band's live sound in concert. He was replaced by recording engineer John Timperley, who was assisted by David Richards. Furthermore, It was the first time a Yes album was exclusively produced by the band.

The album begins with the title track, Going For The One which is the "rocker" of the album. Steve Howe's guitar is all over this track, and all over the album in fact. His playing is perfect for the type of music was making at the time, it created background texture when needed but also jumps to the forefront when needed. Steve Howe played a steel guitar for the entire song, which was a first for him when recording with Yes. Some years later, he viewed the track as "a dynamic piece of music" that was underrated and an underplayed song of the band's repertoire. The next song, Turn of the Century is an incredibly beautiful piece written by Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, and Alan White. The song tells the story of Roan, a sculptor whose wife dies in the winter and, while in grief of her death, carves a statue of her and she is brought back to life. It is actually my second favorite track found on the album, it still gives me chills to this day. Parallels is the third track on the album and is the weakest in my opinion. The organ is a delicate instrument that requires restraint when playing, however, this track doesn't show any restraint. It continues the same organ riff through most of the song becoming somewhat repetitive. It is organ filled, which can be seen as both a positive and a negative.

After flipping the vinyl, the listener is introduced to Wonderous Stories. This was a hit for the band, reaching #1 in the charts. However, it isn't a pop song by any means which I was surprised to find when listening to the song for the first time. Overall, it is an fantastic song on the album containing a truly whimsical yet beautiful chorus. Lastly, we are greeted the one of the best songs ever written, Awaken. What can I say about this song that hasn't already been said? It combines a grand-blistering tempo with quiet yet beautiful segments to create a piece of music that transcends music itself. It is on par with any of the epics that came before it such as Close to the Edge and Gates of Delirium. Truly a masterpiece!

Overall, Going For The One was able to hit The One in literal terms with the single of Wonderous Stories and with the music found throughout. I believe it can be considered to be an excellent album. Some tracks found on the first side of the album hold it back slightly from reaching the title of masterpiece. Nevertheless, it is truly an exceptional album that should be sought out just for the brilliance found within the track Awaken if for nothing else. Highly recommended!

- 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘗𝘳𝘰𝘨 𝘈𝘳𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘴 (http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2537085)
siLLy puPPy
After “Relayer” was released in 1974, YES had gone through five years of progressive rock superstardom and were completely burned out from all the recording, all the touring and most of all each other. They decided to recharge their batteries and take a lengthy break from each other so they could all focus on solo albums, thus during the time span between “Relayer” and this eighth studio album GOING FOR THE ONE, there were many solo albums released and a 1976 Solos Tour Of North America. Once again YES changed their musical vision and after the two super complex and challenging albums that preceded they decided to simplify a bit with shorter songs more akin to the earlier days of “Fragile” and “The Yes Album.” The only exception is the monstrous “Awaken” that runs well over fifteen minutes.

After only one album with Patrick Moraz it was decided that his contributions no longer gelled with the band’s overall sound and he was asked to leave. Originally asked to be a sit in session musician, Rick Wakeman returned only to find he and the band had come full circle and reached common grounds again allowing him to regain his seat as progressive rock’s number one symphonic prog keyboardist. So the reunion of Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Alan White and Wakeman was complete and they headed off to Switzerland to record this wonderful album.

“Relayer” took me a long time to get into because of its complexities but GOING FOR THE ONE took me a while to get into for the opposite reason. I found this album to be too simple. It has much more accessible song structures compared to pretty much every that came before except maybe the very first two albums but somehow these melodic rockers managed to weasel their way into my head and wouldn’t let me be, so i succumbed to their charm over time and now i find this to be a very satisfying album although this is truly the beginning of a decline because it doesn’t come close to the magical era lasting from 1970-74. I now love every song on here except “Wonderous Stories” which is one that no matter how hard i try it makes me cringe!

Beginning with the raucous rocking title track that sounds a little country with all the slide-guitar action, the album starts off on a good note by keeping the tracks somewhat accessible while not jettisoning the progressive tendencies. This is a trend they would continue from hereon as the band adapted to the changing musical realities the world was experiencing, however this is still very much progressive rock and held its own against the new explosion of punk, pop, arena rock and disco that was conquering the world by this time. The album still sailed up the charts and loyal fans consumed it with glee.

While the first three tracks: the title track, “Turn Of The Century” and “Parallels” are somewhat catchy and poppified progressive rock songs that are guitar heavy with Wakeman eschewing his classical keyboards for more complimentary hard rock embellishments, “Wonderous Stories” is a whiney little ballad that totally rubs me the wrong way and is the first sign that the glory days of YES have waned. The highlight is the extraordinary “Awaken” that very much is a blast from the past with its long drawn out melodic developments showing the band doing what it does best, that is create blissful extended instrumental behemoths that segue into different styles and sections and that always work in tandem with the vocals. This track shows Wakeman conjuring some of the most beautiful church organ runs behind Squire’s unique bass line walks up and down the scales. The song has an addicting chord and rhythmic structure and the lyrics are sublime. If the rest of the album was like “Awaken” this would be yet another masterpiece.

GOING FOR THE ONE was the beginning of a new era for YES. They would never return to the glory of their past and instead follow in the path of what is going on with the simplified song structures found here with mixed results. While this album blows away the gazillions of lesser bands of any era, it still comes up short as being one of the greats of the YES discography in my world, but for what it is and compared to what would come down the road in the 80s and 90s, it still ranks high in their discography but just shy from peaking into the classic era. Still though GOING FOR THE ONE is a unique little listen as it has a distinct sound from any other YES album and is one that can easily seduce you into its magical universe.

• lunarston