LOUIS ARMSTRONG — The Louis Armstrong Story, Volume I: Louis Armstrong And His Hot Five

LOUIS ARMSTRONG - The Louis Armstrong Story, Volume I: Louis Armstrong And His Hot Five cover
4.95 | 2 ratings | 1 review

- Johnny Dodds / clarinet
- Lil Hardin / piano
- Johnny St. Cyr / banjo
- Lonnie Johnson / guitar second side only

6x7", Mono : Columbia ‎– B-237, Columbia ‎– 4-39221, Columbia ‎– 4-39222, Columbia ‎– 4-39223, Columbia ‎– 4-39224, Columbia ‎– 4-39225, Columbia ‎– 4-39226 (US)

Thanks to EZ Money for the addition and snobb for the updates

Buy LOUIS ARMSTRONG - VOLUME I: LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND HIS HOT FIVE THE LOUIS ARMSTRONG STORY music

More places to buy metal & LOUIS ARMSTRONG music

js
Not only is this some of the finest classic jazz you can find on vinyl, but this record is a great snapshot of how jazz was developing in the 1920s. As jazz was progressing from the early New Orleans style of constant ensemble based polyphonic improvisation and towards a swing style that would feature star soloists on top of an ensemble that supplied supporting pre-arranged riffs, Louis Armstrong was leading the way. The first side of this album was recorded in 1925, and the second in 1927, and what a difference just two years would make in this time of rapid development in jazz.

Side one is a step towards swing; the soloists, such as Armstrong and clarenetist Johnny Dodd, are upfront and center and displaying the new virtuoso solo style of the time, but the ensemble stills has the sound and persistent rhythms of early jazz. On side two the transformation towards swing continues as the rhythms relax and ‘swing’ more. The overall sound is more urban and sophisticated and the soloists are mixed even more up front as their ability to solo increases.

Anyway, enough about musicology, this is also one hell of a fun party record old school style. The joy and enthusiasm in Louis and his band’s playing is contagious and never fails to lighten your mood. This is also the record where Armstrong introduced his beloved humorous scat singing on the big hit ‘Heebie Jeebies’, with nonsense syllables like skat, dat, de and so on. This record is highly recommended for people who like real jazz.

No LOUIS ARMSTRONG VOLUME I: LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND HIS HOT FIVE THE LOUIS ARMSTRONG STORY reviews posted by members yet.

• The_Jester

Listen Live at Sweet Basils Post Bop
Focus Trio : Well Travelled Fusion
Pockets, Melodies and Sockets Jazz Related Electronica/Hip-Hop
MARC CARY

Joe Armon-Jones - Pray (Official Audio)
JOE ARMON-JONES