JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who Was The Better Composer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Miles Davis or Wayne Shorter within the Davis Quintet.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [66.67%]
8 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Was The Better Composer
    Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 4:01pm
Just thinking about a review I might do soon on Wayne. He wrote some awesome stuff. Sorcerer , Nefertiti, he wrote nearly the lot. What about "Sanctuary" from Bitches Brew. Miles had his greats though too , don't forget the entire "Kind of Blue" , also Miles or Milestones, depends on the edition of Milestones you own, "Sid's Ahead is on that album too. Something to ponder and we need a Poll Big smile
Matt
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 4:21pm
Interesting, I'll have to think about it. The Second Great Quintet stuff is mostly Wayne Shorter, and Kind of Blue was mostly Bill Evans

Miles did compose some of the best pieces of jazz throughout his history though. I dont know, I'll have to think about this and maybe do a little research (listening) before i vote. Good poll though.

Edited by darkshade - 07 Apr 2011 at 12:05am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 6:09pm
Miles was great at concepts, new directions and fusing elements, but Shorter is the better writer in my opinion.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 6:58pm

I think Wayne Shorter offered a good song to a band of Art Blakey already in enrolled time as a personal opinion.

I like an enrollment album of (Shorter - Hubbard - Fuller) in particular.

andyman1125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 6:59pm
Gotta say Miles.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 7:24pm
I went for Shorter too. More consistent and prolific. Sorceror was what made me ask the question because I like the album for the reason that Shorter did write a lot of it. Bitches Brew is too dragged out for me. When I do play it I always make sure I hear 'Sanctuary",  "Miles Runs The Voodoo Down" by Miles is my other fave of it. Yep Disc 2 for me Wink
Matt
andyman1125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 7:33pm
MRTVD is genius Cool
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 3:03pm
Davis is miles ahead of Shorter.

Edited by Polo - 07 Apr 2011 at 3:03pm

That's Kenny G with Miles Davis on my avatar, by the way.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 5:19pm
After some consideration, my vote goes to Miles as well
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 5:59pm
Miles solely because of Go Ahead John on Big Fun.

Because of this, he is the greatest jazz composer of all time. Geek
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 3:24pm
Compositionally speaking, Shorter > Miles.

Miles was a master of putting the right people together and coming up with new ideas to further take jazz into different directions.  He was an innovator.
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peskypesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 5:03pm
Miles, because he wrote "Willie Nelson" AND "John McLaughlin". 
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Miles was great at concepts, new directions and fusing elements, but Shorter is the better writer in my opinion.

I agree with this.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 5:44pm

Yeah, that's the way I see it too.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 9:48am

Me like.....
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akaBona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 12:15pm
Miles
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 10:43pm
Miles was awesome. He made arranged jazz with real themes and melodies and stuff and it wasn't pop-jazz or light jazz. It was full jazz but with arrangements, incredible.
MilesBeyond View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesBeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 7:49pm
It was a tough choice, but I ended up going with Miles. Even though his stuff tends to be a bit light on the compositional side (i.e. he usually wrote "sketches" rather than actual jotting out music), this is the very reason why he got my vote. He pioneered a style of writing that I think freed up jazz and allowed instrumentalists to express themselves in unheard ways.

Of course, compositionally speaking I think they both pale in comparison to the likes of Monk and the big Duke himself, but they were nonetheless both quite good at what they did.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by MilesBeyond MilesBeyond wrote:

It was a tough choice, but I ended up going with Miles. Even though his stuff tends to be a bit light on the compositional side (i.e. he usually wrote "sketches" rather than actual jotting out music), this is the very reason why he got my vote. He pioneered a style of writing that I think freed up jazz and allowed instrumentalists to express themselves in unheard ways.

Of course, compositionally speaking I think they both pale in comparison to the likes of Monk and the big Duke himself, but they were nonetheless both quite good at what they did.

Yeah, nicely put!
I went for Miles too, as covers a wider range of styles he has the advantage there too
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 3:58am
I'd vote Miles, but one has to know that Miles appropriated himself some of the tunes on his albums that were other's labour.... His writing and playing skills were not that fabulous.... Miles' main qualities were elsewhere... He was more of hap^pener, creating the moments and occasions for things to happen... therefore the man was more more an event artistes than a purely creational (hopefully, you guys will understand where I'm getting at because it's not that easy for me to make it clearEmbarrassed) .... he felt things out a lot more than most others.... but often, on the technical or virtuosity side, he was just a tad more than average

Miles had indeed questionable work ethics and rules a bit as a tyrant (a bit like Mingus did too)

But between Miles & Wayne, I'll go for Miles
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic