JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blindfold Test!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blindfold Test!
    Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 11:54am
With thanks to Downbeat, here's a Blindfold Test for fun!

Just in case, for anyone who hasn't heard of it; the Downbeat Blindfold Test pitted popular Jazz musicians against songs of the day, where they had to guess the composer and players without being told a thing or seeing the LP sleeve etc. (Here's Coltrane's)

So I'll do the same for us - your job is to guess similar things, some of which are easier I hope. Below I've put up a youtube clip where I've removed song info. The only thing that comes up ought to be a silly picture. About one minute of a song will stream.

Points Awarded for Guessing any of all of the following:

Leader/Soloist 4
Year 3
Decade 2
Label 1

(Bonus Points may be offered for Song/Album  5)

As I said earlier, I'll only upload around a minute or so of each song, so as not to devour my usage this month and as to how often I'll manage to do this, well, let's see if anyone enjoys it first!

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 03 Aug 2012 at 11:57am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 11:56am
Here's the first - an easy one to start!  (A second video is below it)

and number two

Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 11:59am
OK, first video:
piano - Bill Evans?

sax - Phil woods or Charlie Mariano?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:04pm
That second one is tough, it doesn't sound like Quincey Jones Gil Evans or Don Ellis, maybe its Thad Jones or maybe real early Don Ellis.

the sax solo towards the end of the clip was someone who plays a lot like Coltrane.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:07pm
Close! I think there's some similarity with Bill and the piano player in video 1. Both 'Cool' players for sure.
I don't know Phil Woods very well, but I suspect if he's like Charlie then then both are like the sax player in video 1.

Any thoughts on the other categories?
And should I offer hints? I feel guilty just knowing the answer Big smile
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

That second one is tough, it doesn't sound like Quincey Jones Gil Evans or Don Ellis, maybe its Thad Jones or maybe real early Don Ellis.

the sax solo towards the end of the clip was someone who plays a lot like Coltrane.

I'd better go check the sax player!  But you're right about the leader - it's definitely one of the names you mention at the top. LOL
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Close! I think there's some similarity with Bill and the piano player in video 1. Both 'Cool' players for sure.
I don't know Phil Woods very well, but I suspect if he's like Charlie then then both are like the sax player in video 1.

Amad Jamal and Lee Konitz ?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:18pm

I'd better go check the sax player!  But you're right about the leader - it's definitely one of the names you mention at the top. LOL

Its Don Ellis
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:23pm

Nope, but the sax player was definitely influenced by Konitz
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:25pm

Its Don Ellis

ClapClapClapClapClap5 points! (extra point for the first winner!)

Don Ellis is the leader on video two!

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 03 Aug 2012 at 12:50pm
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:29pm
^ I could hear it in the strings (quartal harmonies) but its not one of his flashiest arrangements, which album is it from?

Edited by js - 03 Aug 2012 at 12:29pm
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:31pm
Just one more before I stop for this round!

Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:33pm

Dammit!!! I should have got this the first time, its Brubeck and Desmond, that seems so obvious now.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:35pm

^ I could hear it in the strings (quartal harmonies) but its not one of his flashiest arrangements, which album is it from?

Cool - picked it from the strings! I'd have NO chance if I had to guess these.

'Soaring' from 73 - 'Invincible' is the song. It's not that well known I think, or at least, not that particular song from Soaring anyway.   I'm trying to find songs that aren't too well known, but might still hint at the artist/leader. It's tough actually, I'm not sure I've got the balance between little known song/recognizable style yet.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:35pm
1.2 is Freddie Hubbard on trumpet?
wild guess - Cedar Walton on piano?
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:37pm

Dammit!!! I should have got this the first time, its Brubeck and Desmond, that seems so obvious now.

Hahaha!   I was worried it would be too easy if I choose some of the group's 'bigger' pieces, but this one comes from an album I'll leave unnamed for a little longer...
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:48pm
Grrr, youtube is very helpfully recognising the songs and trying to name them for me, in terms of acknowledging the source!

For 1.2 - close on on one, but not so close on the other
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 1:00pm
1.2  - Miles and Herbie ?
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 1:02pm
ClapClapClapClap 4 points!

Miles is the leader, but if the piano player was still alive, he'd be 9 years older than Herbie..

Album names and songs for two of the videos are still open if anyone wants to guess.
I'm gonna duck away and check back in a little while. Food beckons hahaha
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 1:05pm
^ Tommy Flanagan or Wynton Kelly ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic