JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best of Herbie Hancock - Leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: As a leader, what's his best and any thoughts on why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [9.09%]
1 [9.09%]
1 [9.09%]
1 [9.09%]
1 [9.09%]
3 [27.27%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [18.18%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best of Herbie Hancock - Leader
    Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:38pm
I've thrown in a small range of albums, some that I haven't heard (like 'Mr Hands' or 'Gershwin's World' - but am keen to) and a couple Live ones too. I want to  do a sideman poll too, just gotta do some more thinking.

My own thoughts soon as I get time
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:44pm
Half of the list above are excellent albums. Voted for Crossings,but it wasn't easy to choose. "River.." is easily the worst album from the list though   LOL
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:47pm
I've already said it, for me, Crossings and Maiden Voyage are his peak compositionally speaking. Then, in the funk world, Thrust and Headhunters are top-notch, Man-Child not too far.

The rest is pretty much excellent.

(since I'm in a jazz mood rather than fusion, I'll go for Maiden)
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Half of the list above are excellent albums. Voted for Crossings,but it wasn't easy to choose. "River.." is easily the worst album from the list though   LOL

Hahaha - I wasn't sure about that one, Slava - have never heard it but wanted to throw in a few newer releases. What's it like? I should check if we have any reviews or stream some samples

Hard choice huh - I should have gone with multiple votes!

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

I've already said it, for me, Crossings and Maiden Voyage are his peak compositionally speaking. Then, in the funk world, Thrust and Headhunters are top-notch, Man-Child not too far.

The rest is pretty much excellent.

(since I'm in a jazz mood rather than fusion, I'll go for Maiden)

Nice, I reckon it's tough to choice between his range of styles. I do like Man-Child a lot too - edges over Thrust and HH beats em both!
Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 5:01pm
"River..." is one of three most current Hancock's albums -all collections of duos/collaborations with different but mostly pop musicians. I think this formula became popular after extremely successful Santana's "Supernatural" album, Santana tried to repeat it few more times (total disaster), Hancock released three similar works with same result. To be honest of all three "River..." possibly is the best (or at least listenable,mostly because of Joni Mitchell's material)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 6:09pm
I'll go with "Speak Like a Child", exquisite piano playing matched with one-of-a-kind orchestrations and compositions.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:51pm
I own the album which Herbie Hancock announced in the 70s to some extent. Probably I thought that methods of the expression about the musicality were different in the acoustic band and electric band.

I felt that "Flood" was a peak as so-called Head Hunters and the performance that I performed for me. Or I like those albums personally because I felt it when trio derived from V.S.O.P performs a stable performance generally. And probably I think "Directstep" and "Dedicaton" to be the album which a fan really enjoys. As a result, I went to others.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 12:23am
Crossings
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 4:08am
In  the ansence of Sextant, I went for Crossings ... and then I would say Man--Child, which is my fave from the Head Hunters era.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:06am

"River..." is one of three most current Hancock's albums -all collections of duos/collaborations with different but mostly pop musicians. I think this formula became popular after extremely successful Santana's "Supernatural" album, Santana tried to repeat it few more times (total disaster), Hancock released three similar works with same result. To be honest of all three "River..." possibly is the best (or at least listenable,mostly because of Joni Mitchell's material)

Yeah, I did suspect that compared to say, 'possibilities' the joni album might well have been better. And Carlos' follow-ups to 'Supernatural' were indeed not very satisfying, huh?
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

In  the ansence of Sextant, I went for Crossings ... and then I would say Man--Child, which is my fave from the Head Hunters era.

I thought Crossings might get some love, and I nearly added Sextant, but thought that Crossings had an edge. Voted for Empyrean Isles myself, no surprise there though, my first review for the site!
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:11am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I'll go with "Speak Like a Child", exquisite piano playing matched with one-of-a-kind orchestrations and compositions.

I thought you'd choose that one, John - right up there in my top 5 Hancock releases
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

I own the album which Herbie Hancock announced in the 70s to some extent. Probably I thought that methods of the expression about the musicality were different in the acoustic band and electric band.

I felt that "Flood" was a peak as so-called Head Hunters and the performance that I performed for me. Or I like those albums personally because I felt it when trio derived from V.S.O.P performs a stable performance generally. And probably I think "Directstep" and "Dedicaton" to be the album which a fan really enjoys. As a result, I went to others.

I nearly put 'Flood' in, Kazu - what's 'Dedication' like in your opinion, I've been meaning to import that one for a while
Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:17am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Yeah, I did suspect that compared to say, 'possibilities' the joni album might well have been better. And Carlos' follow-ups to 'Supernatural' were indeed not very satisfying, huh?

Even more -Santana finished the series with album of "classic guitar rock hits" covers where he switched from flirts with hip-hop/pop to  old-fashioned guitar solos (mostly out of place).The only difference is at least it is rock,not pop album LOL
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:20am
Yeah! Doing 'Whole Lotta Love' with Chris from Soundgarden - it doesn't sound terrible at least!
Reviews...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 2:33pm
I went for "Takin Off" . It has Dexter Gordon and Freddie Hubbard  as  sidemen..................wow and not only that,  though I have grown  a little tired of it over the years. "Watermelon Man" (best version)........like I said it has Dexter blowin' Sax man

I have a real liking for debut albums, (most times). It is not intentional,for some reason a lot of times they are the albums that grab me
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 2:53pm

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Even more -Santana finished the series with album of "classic guitar rock hits" covers where he switched from flirts with hip-hop/pop to  old-fashioned guitar solos (mostly out of place).The only difference is at least it is rock,not pop album LOL
Any of those style of guest or tribute albums, no matter what the genre of music (Country are real bad offenders) are usually crap. I have bought a few ( okay several) over the years and even sitting her now just going through my head what I can remember I have, there is not one album that I can think of that would be above 3 stars if I rated any of them.

I wish a lot of these great musicians would just get back to basics and do what made em' popular in the first place. If Herbie did that Cool ,of course nothing bigger than a QuintetApprove
The last of his fairly recent albums I have heard fully was the "New Standard" which really did not grab me. The cd had a fault in the last track and I played the album about 4 times before I took it back to exchange it and lucky for me they did not have another copy. So I looked disapointed Wink and grabbed another album.
Matt
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

I went for "Takin Off" . It has Dexter Gordon and Freddie Hubbard  as  sidemen..................wow and not only that,  though I have grown  a little tired of it over the years. "Watermelon Man" (best version)........like I said it has Dexter blowin' Sax man

I have a real liking for debut albums, (most times). It is not intentional,for some reason a lot of times they are the albums that grab me

Yeah, I thought there was no way I could not put his debut up, great sidemen as you say. And that is a great version of WM, though I lean toward the funked up HH release. Perhaps because I heard it first?
Reviews...
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 7:04pm
Personally I always liked The Prisoner, It's a little different for Herbie Joe Henderson is great on that one, I like any of the Mwandishi Band albums, Sextant  sounds incredible on vinyl.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 7:38pm
Miles Davis which gave an opportunity to let Herbie Hancock play an electronic piano had eyes of the foresight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic