JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Charlie Parker!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 2:26pm
Thanks Mike!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 2:58am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Anyone aware of "The Quintet"?

This was a real band back in the late 40s or early 50s. I used to have a recording of them on my old computer, and it was some awesome bop of that period. But the lineup was fantastic

Charlie Parker - sax
Dizzy Gillespie  trumpet
Charles Mingus - bass
Bud Powell - piano
Max Roach - drums

talk about a "Supergroup of Jazz"

Definitely an all-star band StarStarStarStar.5 out of 5

The half-star is for the piano... Bud Powell is not as big a name in piano as his bandmates are in their own  respective instruments, though.

Is that Massey Hall (one of my fave venues anywhere in the world) concert the only thing they did together??

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 6:50am
^ Bud Powell not a big name, since when?

Edited by js - 23 Jun 2011 at 9:13am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 7:20am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^ what in the hell are you talking about? Bud Powell not a big name, since when?

compared to whomConfused?? Monk, Tatum, Ellington, Basie, Brubeck, Bill Evans , Hank Jones, etc...  (just to mention the pre-60's ones that recorded under their own names)

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say the man was a dwarf either... just that next to Dizzy, Mingus, Roach and Bird,  Powell's own star shines a little less (at least to moi)... that's all I meant!Wink
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 7:30am
Bud Powell invented modern jazz piano, open 7ths in the left hand, horn like lines in the right. This is how pianists have played jazz since he introduced this style, and this is the style they play to this day.
Any jazz piano player  will tell you, he is probably the most influential pianist of all.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 8:06am
Well although I've been subjected to jazz since around 5 (my father had around 200 vinyls from the 40's & 50's >> he was not really a 60's man), and I've listened to jazz since roughly 1985 (say 23-years old), I only became aware of powell's name in the late 90's, whe,n all of the other four names were household names (mine anyway) by the time I was 10 to 15..

I never claimed to make a judgment of value... I speak through my own experience and déjà-vécu...

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 8:11am
As a professional jazz pianist and teacher of jazz theory. I can assure you he is still probably the most influential pianist in modern jazz.

After Powell you get the quartal harmonies of McCoy Tyner.
Herbie and Bill Evans take that and add the 9th chord and altered chord sounds of the French composers.
Monk gets a bit AG with it and then Sun Ra and Cecil Taylor take that higher.
These days, modern jazz piano players have become very eclectic and some will pull from sources earlier than Powell.
Before Powell came along, Art Tatum was probably the most influential, and he is still an influence too.

Edited by js - 23 Jun 2011 at 8:40am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 9:35am

As a professional jazz pianist and teacher of jazz theory. I can assure you he is still probably the most influential pianist in modern jazz.

After Powell you get the quartal harmonies of McCoy Tyner.
Herbie and Bill Evans take that and add the 9th chord and altered chord sounds of the French composers.
Monk gets a bit AG with it and then Sun Ra and Cecil Taylor take that higher.
These days, modern jazz piano players have become very eclectic and some will pull from sources earlier than Powell.
Before Powell came along, Art Tatum was probably the most influential, and he is still an influence too.

OK, got your driftSmile...It was not my point anyway. Wink

All i was saying is that in terms of public popularity, Powell doesn't spring up as instantly as his four colleagues in that band, and even compared to the pianists I cited in my second intervention ...

Back to Bird, now.... Approve

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 10:43am
^ I don't agree with that either, but whatever, it is supposed to be a thread about Bird.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 11:29am

^ I don't agree with that either, but whatever, it is supposed to be a thread about Bird.

We never do about much , uh?? LOL

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 1:22pm
That "Live at Massey Hall" is, I believe; the only known recorded album of that lineup.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 6:44pm
Here is something for the true Bird lover..........The Complete Benedetti Recordings of Charlie Parker

Just his solos over two weeks with some added stuff from 1947. That is all he recorded not a complete number in sight just Bird solo after Bird solo. LOL

You will not be judged a true fan unless Wink
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:52pm
^ I'm not crazy about the collections that only have his solos instead of the whole song, but get this, I just came back from a record store that had a couple of those "Charlie Parker on Dial" collections. I bought "Volume 6" which has a very young Miles on trumpet playing the be-bop. Cool
Dylbean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 10:52am
I want to put in another word for Jazz at Massey Hall being a killer live album, for sure. The one thing I will say is it gets flak for Mingus redubbing the bass lines in. That's the only version I have though, so I can't really compare, but it does seem to me to be a bit of a bizarre thing to do, but I guess they did things differently back then.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 4:32pm

^ I'm not crazy about the collections that only have his solos instead of the whole song, but get this, I just came back from a record store that had a couple of those "Charlie Parker on Dial" collections. I bought "Volume 6" which has a very young Miles on trumpet playing the be-bop. Cool
Sounds very similar to the one I have been playing John Wink You know there is only actually four tracks with Parker on that one. 11 listed but all the others are alts or false starts. Still good though. Parker sounds great. The other stuff is with a vocalist Rubber Legs Williams. Like to add, no nothing about Rubber Legs. Only ever heard him on that album, never looked though either. Who was Rubber legs Williams? Big smile I will look at him in the near future. With a name like that, maybe he was an absolute boozer LOL

I ordered some Parker myself due to this thread and I went for

Best of The Complete Savoy &amp; Dial Studio Recordings

Would have liked the JSP set because it had the lot of Savoy and Dial but Out of Print and pay for a JSP set what they are asking Shocked They are dreamin" those sellers. Anyway this seems to have all the biggies that I know and a plenty I don't. I always found him so smooth, by that I mean with his changes etc. fluid might be a better term. About a month off though, with who I bought it through, cheap but I reckon they use row boat not airmail
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:04pm
I've never heard of Rubber Legs, but I already like him.
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 9:25am
Interesting that you guys are talking about CP.  I'm in the process of re-watching Clint Eastwood's somber "Bird" over several nights (haven't seen it in ages) and it really points out what a troubled man he was who, despite his addictions and bad habits, made some incredible music that will live forever.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
Dylbean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 3:21pm
Lots of people keep mentioning that movie, Bird. I've never heard of it till now. So you guys suggest checking it out?
There is no god, but music is pretty cool.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 4:31pm
Awesome movie..........directed by Clint Eastwood, Forest Whitaker is Bird. I nearly watched it myself ( again) just the other night. I really don't believe anyone else could have done as good a job as Clint Eastwood being into Jazz the way he is. The film was released in 1988........23 years ago Pinch........can't believe its that long back.
Matt
Dylbean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:16pm
I'll try to check it out. I didn't realize Clint Eastwood was into jazz either. Shows what I know. Tongue
There is no god, but music is pretty cool.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic