JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz Drummer recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:02pm
Thank you.  I've heard of both of them, but to date I haven't checked them out yet.  I've heard good things about Tony Williams' Lifetime.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:57pm
I'd say the two best that you might like based on what you already like are Tony Williams and Jack DeJohnette.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:46pm

It seems as though my favorite jazz albums are those that are "fronted" by the drummer such as Bill Bruford and Bruford's Earthworks, and Dave Weckl's solo albums.  I've heard one Billy Cobham album and I really like that.  I also like Brand X with Phil Collins.  With older jazz I seem to prefer the music of drummers like Buddy Rich and even Gene Krupa over the horn legends like Miles Davis or John Coltrane.  What other jazz drummers are there that I am missing that I should be checking out? 

Edited by rushfan4 - 09 May 2011 at 1:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic