Print Page | Close Window

Jazz Drummer recommendations?

Printed From: JazzMusicArchives.com
Category: Jazz Music Lounges
Forum Name: Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific jazz music albums
URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=503
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 2:08pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jazz Drummer recommendations?
Posted By: rushfan4
Subject: Jazz Drummer recommendations?
Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:46pm

It seems as though my favorite jazz albums are those that are "fronted" by the drummer such as Bill Bruford and Bruford's Earthworks, and Dave Weckl's solo albums.  I've heard one Billy Cobham album and I really like that.  I also like Brand X with Phil Collins.  With older jazz I seem to prefer the music of drummers like Buddy Rich and even Gene Krupa over the horn legends like Miles Davis or John Coltrane.  What other jazz drummers are there that I am missing that I should be checking out? 

Replies:
Posted By: js
Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:57pm
I'd say the two best that you might like based on what you already like are Tony Williams and Jack DeJohnette.

Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:02pm
Thank you.  I've heard of both of them, but to date I haven't checked them out yet.  I've heard good things about Tony Williams' Lifetime.

Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:06pm
If you want to hear DeJohnette at his best, check out live Miles albums like 'Live at Fillmore' or 'Live Evil'. No one else plays the drums like that.
Another good live drummer album is 'Shabazz'  by Cobham

Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:15pm

I definitely need to check out more Cobham.  I only have By Design from his "solo" albums.

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:58pm
Elvin Jones is a legendary drummer.

Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:00pm
^ yes he is, his work with Coltrane is sort of the bridge between those older drummers you like and someone like DeJohnette.

Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:02pm
Interesting.  In 1999, Jones worked with /wiki/Our_Lady_Peace" rel="nofollow - Our Lady Peace on their album /wiki/Happiness...Is_Not_a_Fish_That_You_Can_Catch" rel="nofollow - Happiness...Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch . He was featured playing drums on the song "Stealing Babies", which was also featured on their 2009 /wiki/Compilation_album" rel="nofollow - compilation album /wiki/The_Very_Best_of_Our_Lady_Peace" rel="nofollow - The Very Best of Our Lady Peace

I am listening to this track now.

Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:06pm
He is also originally from Pontiac, MI, which is where I had dinner on Saturday night.  I don't remember hearing his name before, which is strange since he is from the vicinity. 

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:09pm
Is there any jazz with heavy drumming except that Fusion that lies more on the rock side? 

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:29pm
This album

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:29pm
I'm not sure what you mean by heavy drumming, whats an example of that?

Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by heavy drumming, whats an example of that?

Well I can't give you any because I really don't know any examples. LOL But I've read this expression a lot, and also "heavy on the drums". IDN, "powerful" drumming? Drumming in jazz is usually subtle. (Again, I'm ignoring Jazz-Rock of course).

Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:53pm
^ Ronald Shannon Jackson comes to mind. His work with Last Exit is very heavy on the drums, but Last Exit is almost more like noise-rock than jazz, but they are all jazz players.

Posted By: Kazuhiro
Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 7:00pm

The technology and individuality might be various depending on the drum player. Elvin Jones and Jack DeJohnette that opinions gather are already wonderful musicians. The performance was always reformative of course.

I recommend Bill Stewart as a drum player these days. He thinks that the rhythm of jazz was really evolved.

Or, I think that Shelly Manne and Philliy Joe Jones are good if looking for from traditional jazz.

And, if it is an expert of the wire brush, Ed Thigpen might be wonderful.

Posted By: triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Is there any jazz with heavy drumming except that Fusion that lies more on the rock side? 

Buddy Rich.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/TullDerGraff" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Abraxas
Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Buddy Rich.

Max Roach?

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:40pm
A musician not often mentioned for his drumming (other things for sure) is Lionel Hampton.  He was a fantastic jazz drummer.

Posted By: idlero
Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 1:29am
Two names worth checkin
Trilok Gurtu
Manu Katche

-------------
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Elvin Jones is a legendary drummer.

The amazing part is that he really banged on those skins...

During sets, his wife (acting as a roadie) had to push back the drum set some two fzeet backwards, because her hubby drove the kit frontwards from hitting it so much >>> mind you in the 60's, those drum kits were much lighter than the monsters of the 70's.

Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:35am

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 11:21am
Actually now that I think, I did see a drummer that fits perfectly what I call "heavy drumming". It's Eric McPherson, who I saw last November drumming for Lucian Ban's Elevation Quartet. They play hard-bop or post-bop or something like that. Embarrassed

Here's a video from that concert. First you'll hear how powerful he is when supporting his colleagues, then he remains solo and starts by doing an amazing polyrhythm or whatever it's called, anyway something that I couldn't even tap my hands to, not to speak of drumming to that LOL, and then he goes to show how fast he can go on that rhythm. But his performance overall was exceptionally mindblowing.

Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 12:03pm
Thats a great drummer for sure. Without the opening part of the tune it was hard to get a genre, but they were definitely moving to the "outside" sort of thing during the solos.
If you like this guy you might like Elvin Jones, especially some of his work with Coltrane 
One thing though, part of the reason the drums are so loud here is that whatever they are recording with is closer to the drums than the horns, but I bet he is pretty loud and intense either way.

Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 12:29pm
They certainly are playing a very contemporary take of the genres they tackle.

It was a very small underground (literally) club so it evertything was just as loud regardless of where you stayed. I'm sure that this kind of small and very enclosed space intensifies the sound and the sonic experience.  But yeah, he blasts them.

I'll look up those albums, thanks!

Posted By: Cannonball With Hat
Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

This album

I don't know this but it looks amazing.

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: 11 May 2011 at 4:43pm
Joe Morello.  He played with Dave Brubeck and his ease in taking on odd time signatures is amazing, especially since that was long before fusion.

-------------
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 4:13am
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

Joe Morello.  He played with Dave Brubeck and his ease in taking on odd time signatures is amazing, especially since that was long before fusion.

yup, in a way, you could even say that his contribution make him the great-grandfather of progTongueBig smileLOL

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 7:05am
One reason of my infatuation with Mina Agossi (besides her singing and her gorgeous looks Embarrassed) is that she likes her jazz heavy on the drums/percussives:

Posted By: ConnorE
Date Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:14pm
Joe Morello
Elvin Jones
Jack Dejohnette
Jimmy Cobb
Philly Jo Jones
Shelly Manne
Buddy Rich
Gene Krupa 
Roy Hanes
Kenny Clarke
Chico Hamilton 
Dafnis Prieto
Tony Williams
Max Roach
Bill Stewart
Steve Gadd
Papa Jo Jones
Burnard Purdie
Art Blakey
Brian Blade
Kenny Washington
Louis Belson
Mel Lewis 
Harvey Mason

I'd give you more if I had the energy..

-------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/connorellinger" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: trinidadx13
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 2:44am
Can't believe no one here has said Dennis Chambers. Cry

Posted By: Jazz Pianist
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by ConnorE ConnorE wrote:

Joe Morello
Elvin Jones
Jack Dejohnette
Jimmy Cobb
Philly Jo Jones
Shelly Manne
Buddy Rich
Gene Krupa 
Roy Hanes
Kenny Clarke
Chico Hamilton 
Dafnis Prieto
Tony Williams
Max Roach
Bill Stewart
Steve Gadd
Papa Jo Jones
Burnard Purdie
Art Blakey
Brian Blade
Kenny Washington
Louis Belson
Mel Lewis 
Harvey Mason

I'd give you more if I had the energy..

You sir, are on it.

Weckl is also amazing, as well as David DiCenso. Check this:

He's a demon in fusion drumming, was the drummer on Hiromi's "Another Mind"

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

yup, in a way, you could even say that his contribution make him the great-grandfather of progTongueBig smileLOL

Long said it: a number of budding prog drummers of the 60's listened and even try to play along to Morello's recordings - Castillian Drums being a challenge on DBQ At Carnegie Hall - so I'll be happy to set the limit at 'one of the goodfathers of prog', especially when he only passed away in the last year.

I'm losing the thread's direction here, but have Alphonse Mouzon and Lenny White, in that school of heavier jazz rock rock drumming that Billy Cobham emplifies, been mentioned? Another powerhouse is Gary Husband - I've sat 6 feet away from his kit in a small audience, when he was playing with  Holdsworth - the deafening was worth it for the experience. And then Jon Hiseman (we have his biography reviewed elsewhere)??????????

Posted By: Matt
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:37pm

Scott, Art Blakey was the man Thumbs Up

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:51pm
Thanks Matt.  Just read his bio.  He does sound promising, but an overwhelming amount of albums.  I will have to see what I can find on YouTube, or maybe look for a compilation album to get a taste of what he has to offer.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Thanks Matt.  Just read his bio.  He does sound promising, but an overwhelming amount of albums.  I will have to see what I can find on YouTube, or maybe look for a compilation album to get a taste of what he has to offer.
Try and find "Moanin' ", Scott. Always stuck to the beat. love him

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:58pm
OK.  Quick look at my iTunes collection I see I have a version of Moanin' as done by Brian Auger's Hammond Organ Big Band.  I'll have to check it out.  I do see it on You Tube too.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 5:20pm
Here is a link with Art .........Lee Morgan is blowin' trumpet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2je_TvW549E" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2je_TvW549E

Still don't know how Scott  to put the thing straight up as above as a video Embarrassed I am old that is my defence

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

This album

I don't know this but it looks amazing.

It is. I don't know if you've tried to get this, but I highly recommend you do Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 1:19am

Vital Tech Tones?

-------------

Posted By: danielpgz
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 4:05am

Actually you made me think of Sean Reinert, he is a very good jazz/rock drummer, although his style is also heavily influenced by death metal

Posted By: danielpgz
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 4:06am
Oh and I also recommend Gavin Harrison

Posted By: dtig80
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 9:19am
Louie Bellson of the Count Basie swung harder than anyone. He is the epitome of big band drumming. As for Buddy Rich, he doesn't compliment the song like a jazz drummer should. For smaller ensembles, check out Elvin Jones on John Coltrane's masterpiece A Love Supreme. Paul Motian is a modern drummer who may be of interest. It's definitely an acquired taste though because his drumming has an atmospheric quality to it.

Posted By: Moshkito
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:37pm
Hi,

Borderline jazz ... but his own albums were more jazz oriented than they were rock oriented ... Pierre Moerlin

Gong also toured many times with another jazz drummer ... Pip Pyle.

Catching the differences are interesting ... on the live albums with Pip, the music is jazz'ier. When it has Pierre with them it has a really powerful rock bottom end ... more like fusion end for my ears.

Also, in the early days, I doubt that anyone would say that Robert Wyatt was not too shabby a drummer ... he was very good, specially coloring music that was being somewhat "anti-music". 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk